Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a meat grinder that I attached a motor to for grinding down crystallized honey. It was fine for doing a few pails. Does anyone know of something on the market for doing larger volumes. I can't seem to find anything, so I may end up fabricating it myself.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Dancing Bee I can't imagine what you are doing when you say grinding down granulated honey?
What are you using the honey for?
kiwi

·
Registered
142 Posts
I thought once honey had granulated the size of the original granules dosn't change unless you liquify it again?
I dont see how using a meat grinder will change the size of the original granules?
kiwi

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I researched this some time ago and found that the Dyce literature and Roger Morse both elude to such a machine but indicated that they were kept proprietary by companies that produced creamed honey. There are grinders that grind paint pigments that might work, but that is as far as I got. The machine will need to grind very fine (down around 30 to 50u) without generating much heat. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do it for creamed honey. My customers only want honey that has never seen any heat, ( so heating it and adding a seed is not an option ). I harvest canola honey every year that crystalizes very fast, thus forming fine crystals. I then run this through a grinder a few times.
People hunt me down for this honey; so I need a larger grinder to cut down on the labour, ( even then it will be a ton of work because you have to feed the crystalized honey to the grinder ie. pick axe work )
I learnt this method form an old edition of ABC XYZ, I think they called it the New Zealand method.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I believe Michael Bush uses a grain (flour) grinder to finely grind crystalized honey for making creamed honey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts