Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm Jim from Upstate, NY. I was a hobbyist beekeeper many years ago (about 10) and got away from it after my three colonies collapsed over the course of 2 years and as my kids got older and busier. Now the kids are at or near college-age, so I find myself back into beekeeping...and marveling at both the bees and everything I have forgotten in that time.

Honey extraction was always my least-favorite part of the process, so I invested in a few Flow hives and have high hopes for them. I am lucky to live only an hour south of Betterbee, so I got a couple overwintered nucs as well as a package of bees to fill out the three hives. I also caught a swarm earlier this year in a friend's yard and have that one housed in one of my old polystyrene hives.

So, that's me. I've already encountered a few problems and I fear I'm on the brink of another, so I will be posting questions as they come up. I look forward to becoming a better keeper with the help of this forum.

In the meantime, here's a fun little video I took of the girls over the weekend. 90 degrees outside and bearding like crazy. I *really* hope they're not getting ready to swarm...

[video]https://youtu.be/N8OE6g6zSic [/video]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. How many brood boxes on the flow hive? Can't tell from the pic. They look normal to me its just hot out here in NY.
Thanks, much! Two brood boxes below queen excluder and honey super, so it seems that they should have plenty of room. I need to open the hive and take a look, but this was two days ago. Quite hot (90+ degrees and in the sun), but MUCH worse bearding...

Bearding.jpg

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Welcome to BeeSource and welcome back to bee keeping. Bees are so addictive it's hard to stay away from them. I had about a forty year gap between keeping bees and wish I'd been able to keep them the whole time. They are addictive.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I've already encountered a few problems and I fear I'm on the brink of another, so I will be posting questions as they come up. I look forward to becoming a better keeper with the help of this forum.
Welcome to Beesource, feckman-

My how I can identify with your sentiments- seems I spend a lot of time considering and second-guessing things I see and get worried about.

Thankfully, the bees know what they are doing and can fix many of our mistakes...

Good luck to you the rest of the year.

Russ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts