Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. Beginner apiarist living in big ole Stamping Ground, Kentucky. Just installed my first package of bees (Russian hybrids) in a langstroth hive and looking forward to the adventure of bee keeping. Hind sight, wish I had started 2 hives, but oh well. Always found a joy in nature and science, tend to have a knack for it. Surprisingly I didn't get stung on the install without gloves or my veil on. Few landed on my face, one even started to check out my nostril until I gave her a good blow from the nose. May sound crazy, but I was wanting to get hit a few times, hence the lesser amount of protection. Baptism by fire, and i'm also interested in the whole bee sting therapy and tolerance stuff. But anyway, glad to bee here and i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions to ask as time goes on. Right now i'm anxious to wake up and walk to the hive. Went to check on it after work (3am) as I do have a family of skunks in the area and the hive was pretty silent. Didn't open or knock on the door, no sense in making their new home any more stressful. Still stirred up a snowball of what if thoughts though. Stragglers had cleared out of the package box, hopefully the girls are inside and organizing the new house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, Just curious, You are, or have? Congrats or My sympathy respectively.
Lol, neither. Just thought it was suiting for beekeeping and a humorous play on words. Admins felt otherwise so from now on I shall be known as WildcatBeek. : )~

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome, WildcatBeek! I was going to be the first beek ever who didn't get stung! I only count one of the four I got in Year One as their fault. The other three were provoked--bad weather. Biggest reaction was the first when I didn't pull the stinger out immediately. Looking forward to your sting reports.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, WildcatBeek! I was going to be the first beek ever who didn't get stung! I only count one of the four I got in Year One as their fault. The other three were provoked--bad weather. Biggest reaction was the first when I didn't pull the stinger out immediately. Looking forward to your sting reports.
I'm looking forward to my first, lol. Bee stings make me bump up a bit. Yellow jackets hurt a bit worse imo, hornets actually make me swell and throb. Had my share of stinging insects over the years. Again, may sound crazy but i'd like to build a tolerance so its just like the pinch feel of a wasp sting to me. I refuse to provoke them, feel its my job to do the opposite. None the less, patiently waiting for that first hit : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts