Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a very slightly experienced beekeeper returning to beekeeping. 20 years ago I kept purchased bees in Langstroth Hives for a few years. Lost my bees each year and lost interest. I'm now retired, have an interest in catching a local swarm and keeping it in a Layens Horizontal Hive. I've built swarm traps and a hive, as found on http://horizontalhive.com/. Am actually ready to build a second hive should I be so lucky. I have a lot to remember and learn. In the meantime I'm doing a lot reading and watching YouTube. Lots of different approaches out there!

I'm just coming off my second year of making Maple Syrup, so beekeeping will be a good activity to follow. Have interests in photography, traveling, reading and mucking about with computers.

Well, that should kick things off!

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Welcome!
Do you know what killed off the bees 20 years ago? Pretty likely it was varroa mites. Look into that. There are some pretty effective and simple things you can do about it. Best of luck, and Good Easter!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings AR1,

One hive was dead in the Spring. I think my under-education may have prevented me from leaving enough stores to get through winter. A swarm absconded and a second package absconded, but I really don't remember when, so hard to formulate 'why' now. I had treated with Apistan Strips . . . at least in the first year and you may get the drift of where that thought is going - merging right with yours! <grin>

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts