Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new to beekeeping, but have *wanted* to for many years. Had the good fortune to get in on some grant money (from the Tobacco Growers Association) but the requirements were that you *had* to get two Langstroth-type 'starter' kits from a bee supply company. Been there, done that ... hived two packages last spring (2009) had to re-nuc one a month later, got them through a brutal winter and now hoping that my mentor will be available to help me go through them carefully tomorrow :) (I took a greenbeek peek on my own a week and a half ago, have some concern that one hive is *bursting* with bees and I'd rather split them than give a swarm to someone else, amen?

I have a location-specific question for anyone in my 'zone' (7b) who has experimented with Langs, TBH and Warre's (side-by-side so to speak) and has come to some more or less non-opinionated conclusions. :scratch: I've been reading about the TBH and Warre systems and it seems to me that they're more sustainable AND better for the bees. As a race, we humans seem to have a form of tunnel vision; bigger, better, faster, more ... regardless of the consequences towards 'lower' life forms :rolleyes:

Looking forward to a warp-speed climb around this learning curve with you all! :lookout:

Grace and Peace,
Joseph
Pamplin VA
www.considertheliliesfarm.com

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have Langstroth and TBH in Florida. Not an opinion but quote out of L. L. Langstroths Hive and the Honeybee, third edition of over 150 years ago -- top bar hives preceded Langstroths for thousands of years dating back to Aristotle. Honey production and survivablilty went up with hives similar to Langstroths design.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response AND the quote. It is not my intention to start a battle - especially since *I* would be the unarmed opponent :) - but the Langstroth quote sort of proves my point; honey production went up ... if it's all about production and profit/loss margins the bees are a means to an end. :eek:
And survivability appears to be DOWN recently, doesn't it? (NOT to imply that all the blame can - or should be - pinned on Langs.)
BUT, since the Warre hive more closely mimics and accommodates the feral bee's habitat - including their innate drive to build comb DOWN from the top - it seems, to a greenbeek like myself, that working WITH them in exchange for a modest harvest of honey (& comb) would be a more profitable course of action in the long run.

Just my .02 cents, no offense intended. :gh:

Peace,
Joseph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts