Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience in beekeeping. I am currently educating myself and plan to start with a few hives next year. My location is about one hour east of Atlanta. I look forward to learning from others on this great site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest you use the below link to find the local beekeeping club closest to where you're at and get to know the local beekeepers.
http://www.gabeekeeping.com/local_clubs.html
Thanks. I went to a meeting last night in Watkinsville. I was impressed with how many people were in attendance - 50 or more. They had a very good speaker. The UGA Honey Bee Lab is nearby and one of the researchers was at the meeting. I got the impression that there is a tremendous amount of knowledge in that club - Eastern Piedmont Beekeepers Association.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome. You're in for a great time with a satisfying but sometimes frustrating hobby. My biggest advice is to use the information here to at least try to prepare for all the pesky little problems you can (and probably will) have. Small hive beetles are real and a pretty good issue here in Georgia as are all the other pests. Keep a strong healthy hive and you'll enjoy the experience much more.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the warm welcome. So far I have found honeybees and beekeeping to be very interesting. I will spend the next year educating myself and getting my equipment in order. No matter how prepared I will be I expect to make my share of mistakes. That's not a problem because I learn from my mistakes. I also learn from others' mistakes so I will be watching the threads for lessons on what not to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the warm welcome. So far I have found honeybees and beekeeping to be very interesting. I will spend the next year educating myself and getting my equipment in order. No matter how prepared I will be I expect to make my share of mistakes. That's not a problem because I learn from my mistakes. I also learn from others' mistakes so I will be watching the threads for lessons on what not to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts