Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greenish/Tan Pollen in Central NH...what the heck is it?

Watched the girl bringing in piles of it today and we still have patches of snow.....what the heck is coming into bloom?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Greenish/Tan...Is it a slightly olive color? Probably Speckled Alder. Saw some catkins today, and the pollen has been coming in for the last 3 days here in the Champlain valley. Along with Aspen (poplar hereabouts), willow, and maple. Weird year. No normal progression of spring tree pollens. All at once!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Greenish/Tan...Is it a slightly olive color? Probably Speckled Alder. Saw some catkins today, and the pollen has been coming in for the last 3 days here in the Champlain valley. Along with Aspen (poplar hereabouts), willow, and maple. Weird year. No normal progression of spring tree pollens. All at once!
Interesting.. are you saying the pollen is coming in from multiple sources at once ans this is unusual? I thought you said it would be several more weeks.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Interesting.. are you saying the pollen is coming in from multiple sources at once ans this is unusual? I thought you said it would be several more weeks.
No. I'm saying that usually you see the tan with white speckles for a week before any other starts. Then it's speckled alder and the first one fades and pussy willow starts and then maple...all days or even weeks apart. Very unusual for all 4 pollens to come in the first pollen days of the season. We often don't get any pollen until April. The last 42 days have been above average, with the last wek in the 50s and 60s. I guess the trees responded.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In N.Cental CT
silver maples done.red maples and elm starting.some alder
Reports of terrible year for maple sugar.
skunk cabbage is late.It's usually the first.The color is dirty green.

Jack

·
Registered
358 Posts
They're having a good sugar year here in Vermont.
:eek:t: I make maple syrup and seem to be on a line 5 miles east and maples are in bloom. Where i live i still have a foot of snow. The maple trees ran very well for the first 2 weeks but have since shut down with this warm snap we'll see which way they go over the next week. In boiling down the sap we have seen the syrup get considerably darker this year over past years.

Back to the topic for me early greenish pollen is maple and poplar(aspen)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts