Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Greenhouse beekeeping?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bear Creek Steve 
#1 ·
I have had this question rolling around in my head for a while; Has anyone tried keeping bees in a heated greenhouse over Winter with plant propagation going on?

I know there are some very large commercial greenhouses that, I think, operate all year. Would the bees just die at the glass trying to fly somewhere relative to the sunlight? Or if it was set up with fairly constant flowering would bees acclimate to following available blooms?

Just curious

#4 ·
Generally speaking - if a particular method of keeping bees isn't already being done - there is undoubtedly a good reason why that is the case.

Greenhouses ? - a seriously bad idea.
LJ

#5 ·
I think even a large greenhouse would not provide enough forage to maintain even one hive. On top of that the added warmth means lots of feeding over the winter, IE: pollen patties. Sugar syrup wouldn't cut it because they would be brooding year round. This could get quite expensive. Also how would you handle swarms, etc.

#6 ·
Trin,

You guessed correctly in your question. My wife has a geodesic dome greenhouse and since the bees navigate by the sun, and since they can see it through the glass or polycarb glazing, they beat themselves to death trying to fly through glazing. I lose lots of bees that find their way inside the greenhouse through open windows or doors, but can't locate them when they want to return tho their colonies.

Cheers,
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.