Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 40 years of beekeeping I have never seen any green nectar in a hive.I am curious if it may have come from someones hummingbird feeder or some plant.Its not much just a spot about maybe 4" diameter.Those cells there were all completely full but not capped yet.Anyone know what it may be?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I wonder if your hive is/was robbing another one that has been fed dyed syrup. I dye the syrup I feed my hives green to keep track of it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elmer I will have to ask a neighbor down the road who has bees and see if he uses any colored feeds.I dont think he does but who knows.
Little John no candy factories anywhere near here.
Michael we are not supposed to have any purple loosestrife around here.
gone2seed I dont know of ant tulip popular anywhere around here but there could be one someone bought from a nursery somewhere and planted.
We have a lot of hummingbirds around here and my first thought was someone feeding them green syrup.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been a mechanic ever since I was 20 years old and I have never seen bees touch antifreeze in my 50 years of working on vehicles and equipment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The wife said alien honey from alien bees checking out earths life forms. I think possible candy left laying around or thrown out by a passing vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One year when my wife was spraying the fence line with round up she put a smurfs blue dye in it. Had a few random cells show up in the hive a blue-green color. But if it is green (not blue or bluegreen) they probably got in a neighbor's sugar syrup.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
I was looking in ABC&XYZ of Beekeeping looking for something else. I ran into a section on colored honey in it. It seems like Morning Glories/Bind weed have a green nectar. I see mine starting to bloom here in mid-Missouri. You are probably a week to two weeks ahead of me.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Over where I am, nectar from a plant called kanuka (not manuka), can show as green if in comb built on black plastic foundation. Weird thing though, once extracted it is not the least bit green.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim I am seeing a bunch of morning glory's just over the levee well within travel distance for the bees and are blooming like crazy this year.You may have found my green honey.Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
snapper1d,

Does your green honey look like this?
This is from one of my mentees whose apiary is about 1 1 /2 mile away from my apiary. As discussed above, I explained to her the color either came from food coloring that was put into sugar syrup to track where the bees were currently storing raw nectar, or from a few unusual plants that produce colored nectar.
There are about 200 capped cells here, or about half the size of the palm of your hand.
Bees,  Green honey under caps, Cathy Walsh. July 2020.jpg

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I got was a little darker green and was about half that size.It really kind of reminded me of the old non detergent motor oil we got 50 years ago that had that green tint to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you supply a picture? I would really like to see that! Does it also have a distinct smell or flavor?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts