Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone that runs medium brood boxes use the green drone comb? The only green combs I see are for deeps. Is there any downside to just running the deep comb through a table saw to get it the right size for a medium?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't personally use them, but do know that a lot of folks simply cut the deep ones down to size. However, there is a company now making the medium sized ones, saw them at the ABF convention in January....their name escapes me at the moment, but I could dig it up if you need me to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't personally use them, but do know that a lot of folks simply cut the deep ones down to size. However, there is a company now making the medium sized ones, saw them at the ABF convention in January....their name escapes me at the moment, but I could dig it up if you need me to.
I can hunt for them. Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I called and talked with Nick about two weeks ago -- it's taking a little longer to get up and going than expected. he is building an email list of interested folks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would do what Jon B said, just put a foundationless frame in the hive on the outside of the brood chamber, they will build almost a complete frame of drone comb and you can cut it out and let them build it out again! With the green drone comb frames you have to either scrape the comb/capped larva off or take them home, freeze them, thaw them out and scratch the cappings and return it to the hive for them to clean it out.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Wood frame with a Popsicle stick comb guide works better than the green ones. Put it between a couple brood frames & the bees will draw it for drone use.
All you have to do is cut it out, then the bees re-build it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I purchased a box of them. I cut the bottoms off, then fasten a grooved Bottom Bar onto the bottom of the cut section, so the final result is a green plastic drone frame, with a wooden Bottom Bar, that is a medium depth frame. I had also trimmed them down to 1-1/4" width, but recently discovered that my inability to get them to grow many drones, even in these green drone frames, is likely due to having them too closely spaced for drone brood production. Recently I've taken to manually giving drone frames, in the heart of the brood nest, a little more space - this has quite a bit more drone production than earlier.

I've only prepared some of the case of green plastic drone frames, in this manner. For all future ones, I plan to leave them at the spacing they were designed with.

snl,
Thanks for the link - looks like a good place for some interesting plastic based beekeeping equipment.

Robbin,
Apparently their medium green plastic drone frames are simply deeps that are cut down, and they charge an extra twenty-five cents for each one that is cut. Personally I prefer to cut the three inches off, myself, then I can use those three inch wide pieces as starter strips in other medium frames.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts