Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching my morning foragers come and go, gathering pollen and (hopefully nectar). I noticed one bee that landed on the side and before it walked in through the hole reduced by the entrance reducer, I saw that there was a green (turquoise-green) coloration between the thorax and the abdomen. It's definitely not a sweat bee. What could possibly be the cause of this? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
193 Posts
drmanhadan I think it to be pollen.
Once a few months ago I was observing mine out on the farm. There were some flying in with very intense bright florecent orangish red on them and not necessiarly in their pollen baskets. I thought there might be invading by some kind of strange bee, then I thought inbreeding with some strange bees had accured while I was away. I then saw that some were flying out with some of but much less of that colaration on them then ones flying in. I drew the conclusion it was pollen clinging to and in the hairs on their bodies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is probably mange, that means you have to dip em. hehe, sounds like it might have gotten into some good soda type of something, or was enjoying it's self rolling in the pollen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't in the sacs or on the legs, it was on the area where the thorax and abdomen are connected on the outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts