Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hVent even be enable to crack open our hives for proper inspections yet in fear of breaking the propolis seals before another freeze hits.

We had a nice four or five days of mid fifteens and a day in the low sixties soo we fed heavy syrup and checked for dry sugar on top.

They were bringing in pollen. About five out of ten bees returning. I have a couple hives that were wintered in single deeps...which is fine with me haha. But, should I add a second deep just after this next cold spell without inspecting ? I don't want them to get crowded and freak out.
Anyone in My area....what are you doing ?

We are just soo tired of this crappy winter.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It could be a lot worse. You could live in the upper mid-west or the northeast! We have had it pretty rough this winter. Bees only had 2 cleansing flights since mid December. Most hive have only 15-30lbs of honey left. They started with over 80lbs. Clusters are getting very small. In my couple deadouts, there is no brood. Still too cold. The lastest for New England is continued with much below normal temperature and numerous snow chances thru mid March.

We still have about 20" of snow on the ground with temps in the 10's and 20's for the forseeable future. Lows still at zero or below and the ultimate smack in the face is no sun. Every day is coudy with snow squalls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hear ya Michael !
The weatherman said last night 51 days so far this winter below 0 f. , -14f currently with a 20mph wind .
My poor little bees , if they survive they are some tough buggers.
But I have to look at the bright side only 3 more months until spring .

Lee

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Tommy I wouldnt worry about those singles. My bees in Ga are booming but not ready to swarm yet. Dont sweat the small stuff. I wouldnt put that box on them until you have a chance to look in them when it warms. After all it is still Feb! It supposed to be winter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, very frustrating here in the Northeast!!! 4 out 7 hives dead so far with 1 of the remaining 3 not looking good at all, just a very small cluster at the top! All the dead hives starved with 40 lbs of honey still in the box just inches away!!! So sad to see...😢

·
Registered
73 Posts
It could be a lot worse. You could live in the upper mid-west or the northeast! We have had it pretty rough this winter. Bees only had 2 cleansing flights since mid December. Most hive have only 15-30lbs of honey left. They started with over 80lbs. Clusters are getting very small. In my couple deadouts, there is no brood. Still too cold. The lastest for New England is continued with much below normal temperature and numerous snow chances thru mid March.

We still have about 20" of snow on the ground with temps in the 10's and 20's for the forseeable future. Lows still at zero or below and the ultimate smack in the face is no sun. Every day is coudy with snow squalls.
I live in NH and all my bees are still alive, and have honey left. You are right about the clusters getting very small tho... I just ordered my "insurance package" (I am hoping that by ordering a package murphys law will kick in and all the bees will pull through, all my bait hives get filled and I have far too many bees :) ) If any of my 3 hives make it I will definitely be raising more queens from that hive

·
Registered
323 Posts
And to be the bearer of bad news Good Friday comes late this year, April 18. The old folks wisdom is that you don't plant your garden til Good Friday because a late frost will get it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That must be a southern thing cause frost call here is late May and I have seen gardens wiped out in June due to a freeze.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Today...MORE SNOW. Later this week night-time temps in the low teens, possibly in the single digits. I just read Noah's Ark thread about his decimated colonies...depressing.

I wonder if the real damage is the yo-yo temps. Last Saturday, we hit 62, and the girls were brining in pale yello pollen(?) like crazy. Later this week the HIGH is low 20's. Does this mess up the honey bees, so they start laying and raising brood only to be slammed with cold?

Phil

·
Registered
699 Posts
-22F here this morning....Nothing Buzzing here yet (except my teeth, lol)
The good news is the wind has shifted to the south, and our long term forcast says we will
be done with below zero temps in a week...horah..We still have 3 ft of snow in the yard...
My bees survived -44f this winter but succumbed to condensation on those in between days..
I have packages comming in about 5 weeks---I'm trying to be creative NOW for their arrival.

==McBee7==

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I live in NH and all my bees are still alive, and have honey left. You are right about the clusters getting very small tho... I just ordered my "insurance package" (I am hoping that by ordering a package murphys law will kick in and all the bees will pull through, all my bait hives get filled and I have far too many bees :) ) If any of my 3 hives make it I will definitely be raising more queens from that hive
Great news about your bees. Jason, would you mind describing your typical hive setup? It might be of help to us who have lost one or more colonies (like me).
-Screened BB?,
-what size (8, 10, nuc)?,
-medium, deep?,
-quilt box, or other top insulation/venting?
-Inner cover or not?
-Outer wrap or not?
-bottom entry, top entry or both?
-emergency feed? what method or feed?

I also ordered an insurance package with queen. It is scheduled for late April delivery, which in normal years would be LATE. I hope it is not too EARLY. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I feel for you guys.... we're in a drought but I went through my biggest urban hive and she only had 12 frames of brood, 3rd deep is all capped honey and they were drawing the 4th box.....

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
To echo what someone said earlier, any bees that make it through this winter in good shape in the northern part of the country, especially if they are not insulated and TF, would be bees worth breeding from imo.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tommysnare, Give Tim Tucker a call, he lives near Niotaze, Ks. He might be able to give you some answers. I think he runs around 300 hives.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great news about your bees. Jason, would you mind describing your typical hive setup? It might be of help to us who have lost one or more colonies (like me).
-Screened BB?,
-what size (8, 10, nuc)?,
-medium, deep?,
-quilt box, or other top insulation/venting?
-Inner cover or not?
-Outer wrap or not?
-bottom entry, top entry or both?
-emergency feed? what method or feed?

I also ordered an insurance package with queen. It is scheduled for late April delivery, which in normal years would be LATE. I hope it is not too EARLY. :rolleyes:
My hives are actually top bar hives. They have screened bottoms, but they are closed and sealed. They have bottom side entrances (mainly because I couldn't figure out how to make a top entrance with my overhanging roof) there is some insulation in the "attic" of the roof, although I doubt it is keeping then any warmer. I put it in there just to keep the space filled so wind wouldn't blow over the bars. The body of the hive is unfinished, as the roof protects it from the weather.

They still have plenty of honey... I did give one hive some fondant last fall that I never took out. It has softened a bit and dissolved on to the floor of the hive. I am sure the bees will clean it up in no time if they make it. I probably should have taken it out tho. The hives are in full sun, well protected from the wind (house on one side, tall fence on another side, bushes on a third side, and the last side facing southeast, which doesn't usually get wind blowing from that direction.)

I considered wrapping the hives with tar paper, but I decided it would probably be better to let the wood breathe.

I am going to start a few 8 frame medium hives this year, to keep with the top bar hives. I made quilt boxes for them, and will also have screened bottoms that I can close.

·
Registered
323 Posts
BMAC,
All weather is local. The maples do not have a red cast to them and its late February. Good Friday comes late. This means I'm going to have a late winter so you are too.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I'm northern NY and still have all three of my hives. This winter while not the absolute coldest extreme I ever seen here gets the prize for being the earliest deep cold (single digit days, below zero at night) , the longest unbroken deep midwinter cold, and if the next weeks' forecasts prove correct, one with exceptionally late winter deep cold. Enough!

Last weekend we had one of our only two barely flying weather breaks since early December. I had moved them in December and hoped to use "normal" cold to reinforce orientation. I had no idea that after the move they would have nearly ten solid weeks of no-fly weather. And I feel badly because 10 days ago I was promising the girls that we just had to endure one more brief stretch and they would be back to normal cold. Who knew we'd have yet another long single digit cold stretch to get through. So glad I re-provisioned them when I could last Wednesday.

Enj.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts