Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you still use grease patties with wintergreen oil like we used to after tracheal mites hit?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Snapper; I know of no beekeepers using grease patties in this area in the past 15-20 years. The tracheal mite problem is past. I hope it doesn't return, it wiped me out the first time around.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah remember the wipe out.They got all but two of my hives back then.The reason I was asking the question was that I decided to use some grease patties with wintergreen and tea tree oil and put it on my hives.Tracheal mites are not dead and gone but are just not as big of a problem like varroa are.I have heard some even say it helps keep varroa down also.Dan the inspector came by yesterday and checked hives and took samples for the national data bast and while talking I told him I had the patties on.He said he inspected some commercial guy in the state and he had the patties on and he had not one hive beetle in his hives.Well we got into my hives and all of my beetles are gone.I had plenty on the last war spell last week when I put the patties on.I had planned on putting in my cd's today with bait to kill them but I guess no need to for now.I think I will try this on some others that have a bunch of beetles and see if I get the same results.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please update with your results!

Do you think it's the wintergreen oil??

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will find out for sure by august this year.When I get a load on a hive I am going to throw on a pattie of it and see what happens.I sure hope it works because I am tired of fighting them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you mind sharing your recipe for the addition of tea tree?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used grease patties back in the early 90's after the tracheal mites nearly wiped me out.Cnt remember the recipe from back then but I can tell you what I used recently.

2 lbs Solid vegetabl3e shortening

3 lbs White table sugar

3 Tblsp Wintergreen essential oil.

3 Tbls Tea Tree oil.

Now that was way too much Crisco and had to add a bunch more sugar.Just added sugar until I had a consistent pattie that wasnt too greasy.Thats hard to explain.You just dont want it so sloppy it runs everywhere.I warmed the crisco till just became liquid enough to mix everything in good.Add oils first as they will mix in with the crisco oil good and then add the sugar to your mix till its as thick as needed.Now this will make a lot of patties so you can adjust for smaller amounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts