Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a registered beekeeper in Montana and I just got a letter in the mail from the USDA warning beekeepers that there is potential for a widespead epidemic of grasshoppers here in Montana, but I've also heard that this will also greatly effect Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Idaho and probably other states.

What does this mean? Aside from potentially wreaking havoc on agricultural production, it could also effect our bees. There's talk of massive applications of aerial insecticides to kill these hoppers. While some of these insecticides claim to be honey bee friendly, others are not.

I just wanted open a discussion on this topic, I don't claim to be an expert regarding this situation. I also wanted to put the word out to those beekeepers in this region that might not have heard, and to hopefully begin a discussion about how this may affect us beekeepers. It'd be nice to keep eachother informed as this situation develops.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I saw that news report the other day. Here is a link to it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jkYrvhnOw4oV_WEyBeJgxDbu1hlQD9ENPR2O2

The only insecticide I remember mentioned was Dimilin 2L. And it's mentions in the story that Dim has "little effect on bees".

I looked up Dimilin on OSU's website. If Dimilin and Dimilin 2L are the same thing. It shows to be "Relatively Non-Toxic". I'm sure they are different but I don't know what the difference is.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2161.html

What other insecticides are they mentioning in the letter? Or have you heard they might be using.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember about 10 years ago in north Texas we had the same thing. The guy next door to me had a 100 peach trees stripped including the bark. everyone I know lost all their fruit trees and schrubs. It looked like the middle of winter, not a green thing in sight. The only thing around here they did'nt eat were the live oak trees. The county extension agent said it would last until they destroyed their food supply. I took about 3 years for things to return to normal. I hope we never have anything like that again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Will chickens eat grasshoppers? If so jsut buy 50 or so "heavy" bird or the kind that can be used for meat. Let them eat the bugs, you might get a few eggs and have meat at the end of the year.

good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
the thing is they seem to come and go in cycles and if you try a total erradication program you always seem to kill a heck of alot insedental insects and animals right along with your target species. You would think man would learn from his or her mistakes. I'm no activist I hunt,fish,trap,and keep bees I respect the resources we have. And would like to have my son grow up to enjoy these things if he chooses to do so not just read about it in a book as history of a by gone era. Think I would take the hoppers over the chems any day.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
the thing is they seem to come and go in cycles and if you try a total erradication program you always seem to kill a heck of alot insedental insects and animals right along with your target species. You would think man would learn from his or her mistakes. I'm no activist I hunt,fish,trap,and keep bees I respect the resources we have. And would like to have my son grow up to enjoy these things if he chooses to do so not just read about it in a book as history of a by gone era. Think I would take the hoppers over the chems any day.
I don't trap, but I would think that native species of all kinds would be severely affected if a significant portion of all local plant life was consumed by a massive hoard of grasshoppers.

This might be one of those cases where the widespread application of pest control methods is warranted.

It also needs to done while they are still hoppers. Once they get on the wing, it's too late.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As food

In many places around the world, grasshoppers are eaten as a good source of protein. In Mexico for example, chapulines are used as a snack or filling. They are served on skewers in Chinese food markets, like the Donghuamen Night Market.[2]

Raw grasshoppers should be eaten with caution, as they may contain tapeworms.[3]

In some countries in Africa, grasshoppers are an important food source, as are other insects, adding proteins, fat, minerals, and vitamins to the daily diet, especially in times of food crisis. Grasshoppers are usually collected at dusk, using lamps or electric lighting, in sweep nets. They are placed in water for 24 hours, after which they can be boiled or eaten raw, sun-dried, fried, flavoured with onions, or used in soup. The "grasshoppers" eaten in Uganda and neighbouring areas are called nsenene, but they are in fact bush crickets, also called katydids.

In some countries in the Middle-east, grasshoppers are boiled in hot water with salt, left in the sun to dry then eaten as snacks.

the export market is there , all one needs is a hopper combine

Congressman Alan Grayson (D-Fla) recently said , "There is a growing feeling on the part of Democrats that the president is getting bad advice from people who have sold out to Wall Street."

·
Registered
185 Posts
Being a resident of Ohio, can i assume by that map that east of the Mississippi is safe, or is that map suggesting those states covered by a certain date and the rest to follow later? How about a program of adopting your neighbors bees untill this passes?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Irwin makes a good point. When life hands you lemons, you should make lemonade.

Folks should be rejoicing at the sight of hordes of grasshoppers, as grasshoppers are higher in protein than the crops they consume.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
It's an El Nino year. If conditions get just right, those flying swarms of adult grasshoppers won't seem so delectable.

By the way, the adult migratory grasshopper can fly 60 miles in a day.

They might just make it all the way to the east coast. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts