Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to process granulated comb honey sections? Crush. Place in double boiler, then strain? 5 gallon pail crushed and placed in hot box?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not sure this is the best way, but I have done this with with cappings. Crush it up and put it in a warm (180) oven. If you leave it for a while the wax will melt and float to the top. You are going to loose some of the flavor from the heat, but any method is going to require heat with crystallized cut comb.

edit: put the wrong word in a sentence. Should have been put it in a warm oven. oops

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Or solar melter in spring.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
180 degrees is warm ??
it is warm relative to what a oven normally runs at. If memory serves me right bees wax melts at 160ish so you need to be a bit above that. Like I said you lose some flavor but it works. It also completely separates the wax (floating on top) from the honey. I only do this with capping or crushed comb was that has been in a strainer for a while (few days) and label the jars I collect this way as such so I know it was baked.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I warm mine up also when I have a small bunch to do something with.Heat it until the wax melts and let it cool.A knife around the edges of the pot and lift the wax off.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If I wanted to make mead (I never have) I might add water and give the crushed comb a stir. I might add some yeast, and let fermentation begin, guessing that the yeast probably is able to aid solution in some way, and then strain it into my fermentation vessel after a day or so.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
What is the best way to process granulated comb honey sections? Crush. Place in double boiler, then strain? 5 gallon pail crushed and placed in hot box?
You could feed it back to your bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts