Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me direct your attention to the Bee Culture magazine, July 2010 issue, article titled Queen Bee 101 by Larry Connor. Considering all things being good with a queen bee, I quote from his article, "the Art of Beekeeping that provides me with so much satisfaction. Letting these Grand Old Ladies die a natural death seems like a fair trade for a number of highly productive seasons. It has nothing to do with being a businessperson, but a great deal about your appreciation of genetic diversity, longevity and productivity."

i was glad to read that the qb isn't thrown out like a worn out shoe. it gave me as a newbee some respect of what hb goes through. cheers and happy beekeeping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree.

I may be new to beekeeping (or bee-"tending", since I have not wintered a hive, so I can't claim to "keep" them, yet), but I have been on a farm for many years. No doubt, nature has a better plan than I do. I consider myself "support staff" in the process - but, most animals are better off when humans stop micro-managing each phase of life and show some respect.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You aren't kidding, Micro-Management is a problem amongst Most ALL businesses, much less hive management. I respect leaving them to their own fate provided nothing wrong is seen from entrance activity. A little nudge in the right direction is necessary once in a while.

A nice article that ALL non-beekeepers should read too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow i like that word "micro-managing", and that is all we need to do, hbs have known what they were doing way before we started messing with them, found out my one and only hive does alot better without me sticking my nose in there once a week. (probably how i killed their first queen) they are actually doing us the favor, cheers and happy beekeeping

1 - 4 of 4 Posts