Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to my site not being the best my daughter said she would try to graft eggs for me so I can get a few queen bees from some of my best stock. Is there any suggestions for her? Like good grafting tool, good cell cups, best place to buy them, ect. She has been reading about it and has some knowledge about it. Oh, and any tricks of the trade, we all have them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Taking a beginner queen rearing class is what I'd recommend. While bookwork and reading is great, there's no substitute for learning from someone first hand. And paying $150 bucks and up isn't out of the question. Your cell acceptance level increasing will be the reward for that small amount to pay.

And, for what it's worth, I like the Chinese Grafting Tool, which looks like a ballpoint pen sort of thing. Take and remove the plunger though. It kills more larva than it saves.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I prefer stainless steel tool and priming cups with royal jelly. Have tried (with about equal take) plastic and wax cups; prime both kinds. Make sure humid and warm when grafting. I have damp towels handy so larvae don't dry out. Grafting tool gets sticky (from royal jelly) - I keep a cup of water and towel to wipe it off as needed.

Some things that were helpful to me: Have cell bars and frame(s) to hold bars ready. Confine queen on frame for a day, and be sure grafting right age larvae. Make sure your cell builders are strong, well fed and ready. Remove any rogue queen cells from cell builders. Get your cells out on time, before any hatch. Have your nucs ready for ripe cells. Know how you're going to transport cells and cell cups.

After much trial and error, I found the best thing is to have a plan and be organized!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I find it easier to graft out of "older" comb, I tend to push through new comb when trying to get that little larvae on the needle. Older darker comb is tougher and easier to see the larvae.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you get royal jelly from, other cells. And once a egg hatches won't it have some jelly around it from the nurse bees? when a egg hatches don't it start to make a "c", I don't want to graft eggs, thanks

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Do to my site not being the best my daughter said she would try to graft eggs for me so I can get a few queen bees from some of my best stock. Oh, and any tricks of the trade, we all have them.
here is a write up posted by grant that tells you how to make up starters etc using the nicot(sp) system

http://nicot.homestead.com/

I'll check around today and see if I have a spare either nicot or jenter with all the pieces if you would like to try it? neither has been used if they are all together

1 - 9 of 9 Posts