Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using a 5 frame nuc to load up with nurse bees and a frame or two of capped brood. I have a cell builder frame and want to graft from a good queen I have. If I just wanted to produce 8 to 10 queens, would this be sufficient to get this many queens started and the transplant the cells in other nucs with bees? I would have a frame feeder also. Not sure if a cell finisher would have to be used or not. Once capped, I would make my splits. This will be my first try at queen rearing.

Mark

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Yea, you got the idea right. You won't need a finisher since you're only doing one round of cells. Graft up 20 cups, see if you can get at least the 9 or 10 you're after. Put a frame with mostly pollen and a frame of open nectar with 2 frames sealed brood and your feeder. Shake in some nurse bees until very crowded. Make this cell builder nuc up, then take a break for an hour. Then graft your cells and put the cell bar in the nuc, between the frames of pollen and nectar. Best of luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray. Taking on some more hives and may need queens later. I would always like to have a spare queen around anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Hey Mark,
You're in trouble now, you're going to really get hooked on raising queens. It's the most fun part of beekeeping for me, but maybe it's because I'm still pretty new at doing it. Keep us posted on the progress on this your first try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ray, I'm already hooked I think. I built four of the simple nucs that were displayed on both forums. They look great. I also bought a cell bar frame and grafting tool this past Fall. I have one queen I want to get stock from. I also built a 3 compartment queen castle two weeks ago. I would like to get enough cells started to get seven queens.(will shoot for 14 or more) Four in the nucs and 3 in the queen castle. My grandfather in law turned his hives over to me this Fall. He had 3 with bees and 7 empty.(rough shape) I may be getting in over my head, but I have so much interest in bee keeping. I have an Ulster Observation hive that I took to my girls school last year(had a blast) and will be doing a Sunday school class with the bees the month of April. "God's hidden Treasures" is the theme. I was lucky last year and harvested 96 lbs. off one strong hive that I had split. Nobody in the area came close to that. We had alot of rain in the area last year, but my bees were always protected with good weather.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts