Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to graft a 1-3 day old egg for making queens or does it have to be the larvae? Or am I way uninformed, maybe people already use eggs, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was told that only grafting new larva will survive and if an egg is disturbed it will not hatch.
Clint

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
There were some early attempts at moving eggs and the attempts were successful. Larva are done because they are easier to move and judge their age. Judging the age is important to estimate when the queen cells with hatch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
only used larva myself. try to get the larva soon as you see it have slight curl too it along with royal jelly. if it makes a big circle like a letter C its too big.
Don

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
The egg is glued to the bottom. You can't graft them. You can do the Alley, or Smith better queens, or Hokins, or any of the graftless kits like Jenter with eggs, but the bees just clean them out and don't raise them, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
try to get the larva soon as you see it have slight curl too it along with royal jelly. if it makes a big circle like a letter C its too big.
Thanks - I kept wondering how one might tell the right size larva -- I wonder where I might find pictures showing the daily growth of a larva

·
Registered
328 Posts
just reviving this old thread, but it certainly seems interesting that they will raise a supersedure cell with an egg in it, but won't do that for a plastic cup with an egg. What if a cup with an egg is at first placed horizontally and then turned vertically when it turn into a larvae?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts