Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 6 packages today. Installed them and all seems to be ell except one of the packages was missing the queen cage.

Called the seller and he is going to mail me one out on Monday. Hope that package will be ok until then. Thy have lots of syrup.

Was nervous at first but the suit eventually built up se confidence and I managed to finish up with no stings.

Registered
So did u install the package with no queen? Or they are awaiting mailed queen? If latter they should be fine, until new queen arrives. Have you considered shaking them into another hive with queen (in case she doesn't arrive in a timely manner or is DOA), and then taking a frame of eggs and larvae (with bees) from an established hive with the most to offer, and starting them off, perhaps in a nuc?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Let me edit my post. The queen cage was there but the cork was not inside the cage. The cage was hanging. I installed them. So far they behave just like the other 5. When should I go inside to take a look? Today and tomorrow will be last days of good weather for about a week.

Registered
youtube and search Michael palmer -- he demonstrates how to see if a colony is queenright.
You would put your new queen (in cage) on top of the frames and observe the worker bees' behavior.
Because you say that those bees are behaving like the other five, I do think the queen may be there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my current setup. The one with the potentially missing queen is the one on the far left. image.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts