Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first packaged bees on Wednesday. I setup two hives Wednesday night and installed bees into each one. I am using top bar hives at this time. Last of my packages installed tonight (Thursday).

Just some observations:

First: Wood swells with weather changes. Holes drilled for assembly of legs may swell shut and a hammer is needed to install bolts. This means a hammer and/or a cordless drill is a good thing to have with you. What is not a good thing is not to have either.

Second: Put on your veil. Even if nothing happens the first time... Nothing bad happened but I realize something could have happened. I lucked out.

Third: Spray the bees heavily after the feeding can is removed. I did this for the first 2 packages and the bees had a great time cleaning up the sugar water. I did get stung the first night when a bee got stuck in my arm hair when I was shaking in the package. I got stung the second night on the hand when I forgot to spray after removing the can. I removed the queen cage and one of the bees buzzed up my finger. I could tell she was mad. Wings buzzing with a nice breeze coming from them. Then ouch.

Fourth: Wear long sleeves.

Five: Shutting the tailgate on a van after dark to keep a bee from flying into the van results in a sudden pain in the neck. Here I had just shaken off two bees that had hitched a ride on my veil. One attempted to get into my van and when she had flown out I shut the tailgate/hatch. Apparently this pissed her off. I saw her from the corner of my eye and she gave me a nice welt on the neck.

Six: Close your pant legs. I forgot to do this the first time. I only had one up my pants and got her out without a sting. An interesting feeling having a bee crawling up your leg.

If all goes well, I will have 4 hives going. I had a great time installing the packages even though some things didn't go as planned. I received 3 stings with the one in the neck the most painful, but that really isn't that bad. Everyone that has looked at my stings seems to have more of an issue with it than I do. I was offered 2 different medications at one point to help reduce pain or itching. So far so good.

I have a few pictures which I will post later.

I only have one queen I am worried about as I found after I had removed the cork there was no candy plug left. She wanted out and I hope she stayed and was accepted right away. Otherwise I will be combining two hives.

My grandmother, who is in her 70's, watched me hive one package of bees. She also had the pleasure of watching me get stung twice. Yup, the same package got me twice. Once at the hive and once back at my van.

Well, have a good night.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best advice I got before hiving my bees was to have 2 sugar water sprayers at hand. This way if one failed, you would have a backup. I ended up using both of mine as I put one at each end of the hive so I would have one handy. None of my sprayers failed on me, but there is a big advantage to having two sprayers.

Just to make things clear... I had a blast hiving my new bees.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
I'm not fond of getting bees all sticky. I guess I've seen too many dead sticky bees from cans that leak, feeders that leak, mail people who turn the package on edge. etc. I don't see any advantage to sticky, drowning bees...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not fond of getting bees all sticky. I guess I've seen too many dead sticky bees from cans that leak, feeders that leak, mail people who turn the package on edge. etc. I don't see any advantage to sticky, drowning bees...
I used a very diluted sugar water in the sprayers. Just enough sugar to keep them interested in the sugar water and not me. It took about 5 minutes for the majority of the bees to clean themselves up and start flying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts