Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
if those are screened bottom boards best to keep the screens closed for a week or two, otherwise the bees may take off.

welcome aboard!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, they are closed, I put frame feeders full of 1:1 syrup, and brood patties, I have to go back tomorrow and put the 2 missing frames back, plan on OA vaporing them soon. Then add beetle traps.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are pretty ornary today, you can't get anywhere near them, theres about 50 in front of each box swarming around all day. I'm assuming they are ill from being packaged in GA and drove on the back of a truck 6 hours to get here.I guess I can get into them tomorrow and check feeders.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Those are the orientation flights, perfectly normal but very hectic in appearance. When you approach them, are they buzzing around you or are they bumping your veil? Bumping is considered more aggressive behavior but that does not mean they are aggressive bees, just that they are not happy at that moment. Usually, when you install a package, you dont go back in until day 4 to make sure the queen was released, then wait two weeks before checking for eggs. Too much beekeeper intervention too soon and they will abscond.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
My full sized production hives are going through a gallon in about three days. A package should not be able to take in and store anywhere near that rate as they do not yet have comb to store it in.There is nectar and pollen available so your bees will not starve. I will be pulling my feeders in another two weeks but you should feed a package until they won't take any more and most of your frames are drawn. Give the girls some time to get settled in. Check in on Sunday to make sure the queen is out of the cage and remove the cage. Top off the feeder but do not pull any frames or look for the queen. Close it back up and wait. Check the feeder about every 4-5 days but stay out of the brood box itself. You should see bees coming in with pollen on their hind legs after a few days and their demeanor should improve a lot. Around April 21st, go back in and start looking for eggs, larvae, and capped brood. Once you see any of that, close it back up. Do not try to find the queen yet. Too many new beeks kill their queen accidentally while trying to locate her and before the hive has resources to make another one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, sounds like a plan, my bee school instructor says they will go through a gallon a day, while they are drawing cone, so I was thinking I had to go in every day, I still want to OA vapor them before they seal up brood.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Yeah, forgot about that part. Brood wont be capped until day 9 after the queen starts laying. Assuming she begins laying as soon as she is released, she won't, you have at least 7 to 9 days, so plan on giving the OAV treatment around 4/14.

You should probably be giving them 5:3 or 2:1.syrup since they need the carbs and already know they need to draw comb. It will last longer in the feeder too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to open it up yesterday, rained all day, I looked in for about 20 seconds, put the two missing frames in and beetle traps, they were all over the pollen patty, and no way to fill up the feeders for all the bees in the holes. I went ahead with the OAV right before dark.I'll check it this evening and remove queen box, maybe fill up feeders.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Congrats! I recall my package intro, 2 years back. Red-letter day.

I noticed in your video that you did the text-book ""pounding" of bees into the hive from the package box. My good mentor, I saw back-when, said she didn't like that method (like being on a sofa and having a giant pick up the sofa and pound it -- and you -- on the floor). She slowly turned the package opening onto the open top of the hive, then let any bees that didn't fall/flit into the box stay where they were in the package, and topped the hive body [w/ package still inside] with another hive body, and closed the hive a while. Easy for all the bugs. Just a thought .... Odds are, most beeks'll say that's pointless or doesn't make any difference. Philosophical concept.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You realize that the bees in your package could have come from several different hives. Until you get a round of brood hatched out and most of the package bees are gone, determining their behavior is a crap shoot a best.
Good luck with your bees! Lots of good info on this site.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I am getting a Nuc with 4 frames of brood,and one honey for hive #2, and my dad is giving me 2 of his frames of brood, I'm thinking of putting one full brood frame in each package, to help them out.I guess I just shake the bees off of them first?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts