Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weeeew weeew

I guess I have confirmed why the ladies are soooo angry.
Walked out to the bee yard tonight right before dark and digging up in one of my hives was a very big and obviously hungry skunk!

Backed off a little so it could not see me and watched it reach in and pull out a couple handful of bees, wax and larvae and chow away. Waled up to the house and got the .17 hmr (AKA Pez Dispenser Maker) and drilled his stinky bee eating butt!

One down, lord knows how many to go!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Bees don't get angry, they get even. They just can't tell the difference between you and a skunk. :) Not that I can't. ;) I think I'll stop now before I dig myself in too deep.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Mark,
Have you been on too many threads that I have been on? I've been eating smartalec pills today.:cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Next time you have to shoot one, shoot him through the gut. He will spray, but he will not totally void himself like they do when you shoot them in the head. Plus, by shooting them in the gut, they will run off, and not drop right there, where you have to clean him up.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
AFB hives are also called stinkers.

Carpet tack strips with all the tacks pointing up nailed to the entrance can help deter skunks. They don't like the tacks poking their paws as they try to swat bees.

I had a skunk bother a hive here in the homeyard last year. I placed a concrete block directly in front of the hive. The bees could fly through the openings in the block, and it didn't seem to affect their flight. The skunk had to work around the block, or try to reach over it, or get on it and reach down. It must have left him too vulnerable, as the skunk started looking for easier food.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well when I went out this morning and scooped him up to toss him out in the brush away from the house, I noticed that what I thought was larve and wax to be a bunch of crushed bees. So I guess he was just eating bees, but looks like a bunch as his mouth and both front paws were full of mushed up bees.

I guess I should start trapping for them or paying more attention around the hives at dusk.

Need to get them in check. The neighbor got two skunks in the last few weeks and now this one. I am pretty sure we have a few more. The dogs have been nailed twice this year already.

And for me it is not a good idea to let them crawl off and die because my female german shorthair loves to play with dead stinky animals, so it was a beter option for me to plant it like I did then move it where my dogs will not go.

Besides there is something about watching the head flip over backwords that just makes it complete.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Uh....what?
Bees, as you well know, defend their home. And especially after a skunk has been bothering the hive, bees don't discriminate between an intruder w/ ill intent and someone just checking to see if more supers are needed. That's what I meant. But said less diplomatically?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts