Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather got up to near 60 today so decided to check and see how the girls were doing. Surprising all 8 hives appear to be doing well, some very much so. I did transfer a frame or two of honey to from a hive with plenty of stores to one that appeared to be lacking. The remainder appeared to have enough capped honey to last them through. I only saw one land with a load of pollen. Ironwood possibly.

What really surprised me was seeing drones. At first I doubted my eyes, but I picked one up off the landing board and yup - it was a drone. Kinda early isn't it? Then again, winter has not really put in an appearance, but that may be changing a little over the next few days, week. Even then not so much.

I have also squished my first 6 or so hive beetles.of 2021. I don't remember seeing them this early either.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Its been a pretty mild winter, they are going to be more active than usual. Lots of activity is a good sign, but make sure you've got some emergency feed on them since they will burn through their stores faster. You don't want to lose your healthy hives to starvation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lastfling, Are you running double deeps? Did you have much brood? That I can remember I've never ever had a cold produced brood break and my queens generally only have 2 good years so I pull them into nucs and let the girls make new ones. I'm not surprised about the drones, I believe we had a couple I just don't understand why they didn't get thrown out no matter what hive they came from. 8 hives should keep you busy and out of trouble.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lastfling, Are you running double deeps? Did you have much brood? That I can remember I've never ever had a cold produced brood break and my queens generally only have 2 good years so I pull them into nucs and let the girls make new ones. I'm not surprised about the drones, I believe we had a couple I just don't understand why they didn't get thrown out no matter what hive they came from. 8 hives should keep you busy and out of trouble.
All are double deep except one which is single. I did not deep dive into the hives to check if there was brood and/or how much as my goal was to check stores and minimize time in the hives. Yep, 8 is a smidge more than I want to deal with, but between catching swarms and splitting that's what I've wound up with LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.