Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year is my first year. Had an idea where there were some feral bees. Placed a trap in a tree on the edge of the woods. Have not checked it in a while, kind of gave up on it. So today went for a walk and decided to check it. Sure enough there were bees coming and going. This is my very first catch ever. I have no idea how long they have been there. What do I need to do next. Should I wait a few days in case they just settled in or should I go open up the box and check on them. I know I should bring them home in the evening. I have to work a twenty four tomorrow Friday, so I would not be able to bring them home till Saturday anyway. Advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What do I need to do next. Should I wait a few days in case they just settled in or should I go open up the box and check on them
If they're bringing in pollen then they're established enough to close them up and bring them home. By Saturday they will be anyway. Just go after dark, close the entrance and get them home. Do you have a screened entrance that you can close them up with like the spinning disks? You just don't want them to overheat if it's a 1/2 hour drive home.

Do not open them where they are. You'll just put a bunch of bees into the air and unnecessarily piss them off. Again, just go close them in after dark and take them home. Do open them up as soon as you get them home. Best to do get the hive all situated and turn off any lights then open the entrance and get out of there. A few bees will try to respond but not many if they can't see to fly. By morning they'll be orienting and back to normal hive operations. Wait a couple days and inspect if you wish.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is set up with in walking distance. I do not have one of the disks. Guess I could make something with some screen. Was not able to see if they were bringing in any pollen. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Congratulations. That's like getting money from home. Not knowing about how long the bees have been in the trap makes it interesting. If the trap has frames in it, I would give it a week or so and transfer it. If not, I would add frames as soon as practical being prepared to deal with any comb that might be in the trap. Before I added the frames, I would decide whether I wanted to try to save any brood comb that might be in the trap and be prepared accordingly. Put a leafy branch in front of the hive when it is moved or transferred so that the bees will reorient to their new location. Best wishes on the new colony. If your username means you are a fireman, thank you. (If it means that you like to burn bees, go away.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the box has five frames. Yes I my username is because I am a firefighter/paramedic. I am going to go check it again and see if pollen is going in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts