Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two 5 frame nucs back in mid april. I quickly placed them in a 10 frame box. I fed them sugar water for a month. I took out the frames and inspected them all looked good. I desided to stop feeding them in mid may because i live on a big farm and have 25 acres of clover to bail for hay. the bees are realy working the clover. i open the box up today close to mid jun, the 2 frames on each side of the box is full of honey and capped. should i add a super, sourwood is getting ready to bloom here. One of my boxes is so full of bees i could hardly get the top on with out mashing lots of bees

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would do a full inspection and look for queen cells. i would add a super and check it in two weeks and think about getting things ready to extract.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If they only have 1 deep hive body now I would add another for there living space before you add a super. You can always smoke the bees down before you put on the inner cover so you don't have to smash allot of bees.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for some reason, i did not think the bees would make honey for extraction the first year. I guess i thought the bees would take a year to get built up. I am having alot of fun with this. i love to set near the stand and watch the bees work. I also met some guys that are in a local bee club i am going to start attending the meetings

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't say enough good things about my bee club. You will find good people and helpful advise. I think joining a bee club is a great idea.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Whenever 70 to 80 percent of the frames are full you need to add room. New hives can definitely make a surplus of honey the first year. Almost half of the first year beekeepers from my workshops will be extracting in August or September. The only reason for two months is there are so many strong hives to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts