Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tell my wife all the time, but I wanted to say something to "the community," too.

I'm working on establishing my first hive this coming spring, and I'm having a terrifically good time with it -- learning, assembling, and sharing amusing bits of info about bees and beekeeping that I've learned with folks who think I'm nuts. My kids are fascinated by it, and can't wait for late April, when the nuc arrives.

This past weekend, at a kid's birthday party, I said to a woman spontaneously, "Can I confess something?" She smiled, and said, "Sure!" (I can't imagine what she expected, but it wasn't what was coming.) I said, "I'm getting ready to have a honey bee hive this coming spring, and some aspect of that fact scares the hell out of me." She laughed and we talked (with some other parents) about beekeeping, why to do it, how much honey a hive might yield, etc. It was loads of fun. (One mom, when she heard what the discussion was, looked at me and said, "Dork!" I've never had much to say to her, and that confirms as to why.)

I commute into NYC, and one day just before this past Thanksgiving, a fellow on the train saw that I was reading a bee book, and said he was a beekeeper. I bonded with him when one of the first things he said was, "You know, it's pretty cool to be at your desk at work, and you can think about the hive, with the bees all out there, at the same time, doing their work, too." Nice. Before he even said it, I'd already been eager, anticipating the reality of that.

I'm getting ready to paint my hive boxes today, and to position tongue depressors into the top groove of a bunch of frames, and I took a day off just to do that. This prep work is peaceful and methodical, and I'm finding myself, too, longing for that day in late April when I make the drive to pick up the box 'o bees.

In the meantime, I'm having a blast.

Mig

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man, I hear you loud and clear! I am restarting this spring after about 5-6 yrs and it's driving me crazy to wait a few more weeks. I ordered 5 nucs and I've been setting up supers bottom boards feeders etc, and killing time on this forum. Good luck, sir

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was right where you were at this time last year.

Good luck to you.

Just one thought - you might think about doing two hives and not just the one. It's the same amount of work -but for me having mutiple hives allowed me to really compare and learn more. It would also be really sad if for some reason you lost your one and only hive. Nice to have a backup.

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I started a few years back, I was just like you! Spring couldn't get here fast enough! I was assembling hives, painting, reading, on this site, etc and in the garage during late winter salivating about my first bees!

It was like that Christmas Movie where the boy wants the Red Rider BB Gun for me! "You'll shoot your eye out".

There is no fun or memory like your first hive inspection done by yourself. You do things as gingerly and second nature as that boy did in the Christmas movie where he loaded that BB gun up. He knew what to do!

Enjoy the new hobby!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know exactly how you are feeling. I get to pick up my first two packages on April 3. Put the first coat of paint on my hives today. I hate waiting for something more than anything. I love the feeling of excitement and nervousness you have before you start something new!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just one thought - you might think about doing two hives and not just the one. It's the same amount of work -but for me having mutiple hives allowed me to really compare and learn more. It would also be really sad if for some reason you lost your one and only hive. Nice to have a backup.
Yes, this is what happened to me. I received my first hive last October (as a gift from someone lo longer able to keep it). Sadly, it died this winter, and it's terrible seeing that dead hive out there in the garden and having to wait until first week of May for my new bee packages to arrive.
Get two hives going as soon as you can!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I appreciate your concern, and I've heard the same very good idea in many places. The sad fact is that I can't afford it. I have three young kids and my wife works to care for them -- mine is the only income. A couple hundred dollars for more boxes, frames, and the bees themselves is more than I can handle right now.

I'm planning to build a top bar hive over the summer, with the hope of adding it and another conventional Langstroth hive to our beeyard in '11. There's also a local CSA that has expressed interest in having some hives on site, so my hands may be more than full a year from now. Has anyone noticed? In terms of costs, beekeeping isn't exactly yachting, but it's also more pricey than -- to put it in terms my kids would understand -- a bit more expensive than collecting Pokemon cards! ; )

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Guy's you're hooked.
Its not too late to get out.

I started last year, & still feel that way.
Its almost time for the nearby feral hives to start swarming!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm planning to build a top bar hive over the summer, with the hope of adding it and another conventional Langstroth hive to our beeyard in '11.
Top bar hives are indeed a whole lot cheaper, espec. if you make them yourself.
They don't need to be fancy. And with a little research and some luck, you may be able to multiply new colonies from the bees you are getting soon! :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Going into my 3rd full year. You know what. Every day is a bee day. I think about the girls all of the time. My wife jokes about it some but sometimes I know she is really jealous. Wish I could get her involved.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Starting my second year now. I remember getting my two packages last spring- I took a week of beeternity leave the week they arrived. This spring I am finding it hard to concentrate while I am at work- all I can think about is how I am going to manage the bees this summer. I can hardly stand to look out the window at this warm spring weather and think about the bees out flying while I am stuck inside.

I have a couple of other hobies- I tie flies and fish with them up in the Big Horn mountains. As wonderful as those experiences are, they just don't bring the same joy to my soul that the bees do.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
(One mom, when she heard what the discussion was, looked at me and said, "Dork!" I've never had much to say to her, and that confirms as to why.)
you wont be such a DORK when you show up at the next BBQ/party with a few jars of local, DORK produced honey....have fun:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
...(One mom, when she heard what the discussion was, looked at me and said, "Dork!" I've never had much to say to her, and that confirms as to why.)...
I say, embrace your dork-dom ;) It is interesting how the subject can immediately spark conversations with people you wouldn't normally talk to otherwise. And in your case, let you know who is tragically close-minded. Her world is probably full of disappointment while your's is full of curiosity and anticipation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts