Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I made a batch of syrup and stored the extra in a 1 gallon container that used to hold fresh orange juice. I cleaned the container really well with hot soapy water before I put the syrup in. When I opened the container this morn to refill the bees syrup the syrup really smells like oranges.

Is there any danger in using this syrup? I know orange oil seems to be dangerous to insects.

I read a post about boiled sugar being toxic to bees. They are saying really boiled sugar right-?

When I made the syrup I boiled the H20 and added the sugar and let it heat back up for maybe a couple of minutes, til the sugar just disolved.

Thanks,
Julie

·
Registered
760 Posts
id ditch the extra syrup--- its cheap -- bees are not

most citus is deadly to insects

on the syrup - heat the water in one pan and put the sugar in a 5 gallon bucket - then pour the boiling water into the bucket and stir !!!!!

think of making sugar syrup like making a tea - you dont boil tea you just add it after the water has been boiled -

boiling the water is more for the water safety ---ie chlorine, batceria, and other germs - the sugar is usually clean as its bleached also - the heating releases the chlorine gases -

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would use it. We have all our bees on citrus right now and always have. Pour a little OJ on an outside table and bees will drink it like water. Don't quote me but I believe citrus oils are made from the peel of the fruit, not from the juice or pulp. I know that a recommended flea treatment for dogs and cats is to place some lemon peel in hot water for a few hours and saturate the animals fur with it. The lemon oils are drawn out into the hot water. Doesn't kill any fleas, just repels them and makes the animal smell better!

·
Registered
760 Posts
citrus nector and pollen is different from orange pills,seeds,and juice that they put in to Orange juice

mice take Decon pellets and stuff there mouths full and head home (does that mean that its ok for them to eat it??)

id say for the sake of less then a gallon of syrup to just ditch it -

in the future just grab a gallon water bottle and use it to store extra

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
I ended up dumping it because I wasn't sure. I'll make a new batch of syrup. I'm only feeding one hive right now so it's not a big deal.

I appreciate your input!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am pretty new to beekeeping but have found a few things out - a lot of opinion is given out as fact. I think you will pretty soon find out that logic will go a long way).

I have done the same (not necessarily OJ). Takes on the odor - just like milk jugs. Never noticed any harm - since you find bees/flies/insects sucking fruit's juices all the time it would be very hard to state why it would hurt. Never heard of citrus being deadly to any insects - citrus oil is not the juice.

The bees are a lot smarter than most take them for (God made them that way).

I would suggest refrigerating or freezing extra syrup until it is needed to cut the chances of fermentation.

Decon is made to attract mice - if it were straight poison they wouldn't take it home.

Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The odor may have only been coming from the bottle, next time you might try pouring the syrup into another container to see if it still smells.
I stored syrup in juice bottles before, it smelled like fruit punch in the container but when poured into the feeder the smell was gone.
As to syrup making I've tried it many ways, the easiest for me was to mix it in a juice bottle. I just pour in the water then sugar (sugar first makes it harder to mix), squeeze the bottle hard, screw on the cap and shake until all the sugar is off the bottom of the container. Then warm it up in the microwave few a seconds (I squeezed the bottle to keep the air pressure down), take it out and shake when the sugar starts to accumulate on the bottom again. It usually starts to become transparent before the syrup gets to the temperature of your hot tap water, if not just take it out and let it sit for a few minutes. If it still isn't completely transparent reheat it like before and let it sit again.
As long as the sugar doesn't caramelize most any method should be fine though. I have even made 2:1 by just letting it sit a few days, shaking every now and then.
A book I read said that when using a contact feeder you can just dump the sugar and water in and put it on the hive without even stirring.
Hope that helps.
Daniel

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Concrete-bees; I don't know where you got your info but citrus juice does not contain any pills (peels?) seeds or anything else unless you squeeze it yourself and leave seeds in it. There's nothing harmful to bees in orange juice unless you spike it with vodka!

·
Registered
760 Posts
haha my grandad worked for Sunkis for 30 years - trust me ive heard all about how "juice" is made for the store shelves -

its all tossed in ---- peels, seeds leaves, bird poop, bugs, insectisides,- it all goes - they try to get it out but it all gets ground up

anyhow citric acids kill insects -

and just because the bee sucked down the OJ doesnt mean it made it back to the hive --- or how long it lived after the intake

i just mentioned to have them dump out the gallon of syrup to be on the safe side - its $4 down the drain - not like it was a 250 gallon tote

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually did pour the syrup into another container and tasted it. It tasted faintly orangy and smelled really orangy. I knew the container would smell but I thought after washing it out 3 separate time with hot soapy water that would clean it. The orange must be completely impregnated into the plastic. Kinda scary the whole plastic and food thing.

Thanks so much for your guys' input

·
Registered
717 Posts
Water out of the tap, because of regulations, is probably better than evian.

Forget the boiling proceedure - get hot tap water into your mixing vessel (I use 5 gal plastic pickle tubs - washed, of course), add your sugar and 'essential oils' and stir for a good 5 minutes.

Forget about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts