Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I installed my first, what was supposed to be a Nuc but everyone says it was a package. It had a queen in a cage for at least 4 to 5 days before I opened her up. The man who sold me them criticized me greatly saying that I probably killed the queen but most people here on the forum say that she was exposed to the workers long enough to be accepted. I was told not to open the hive for 3 weeks...are there any signs I can look for to know if my queen is alive? I notice a lot of worker bees are coming back with their pollen buckets full, some have said that is a good sign. Anything else?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Think the general consensus is that you can check the hive after a week. Bees are settled and drawing comb if they are bringing pollen. Pollen is also a good sign that there is some brrod and need for pollen to make bee bread with.

You can think about stopping your inspection once you see eggs and young larvae. They should be showing up if you have a queen about 8 days in.

Young queens move about quite rapidly and no need to get them over excited moving away from the light and frames you disturb. Hold the frame over the hive when doing the inspection as they can drop off the frame to get away.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Three weeks??? Who told you that??
Rule one that I follow is once a week,,no more and no less.
Eggs may be hard for you to see, if you have good site you may see em. I wear trifocals and still have to look twice sometimes. Larva in the shape of a c at the bottom of the cell is about 2 to 4 days old.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are few sure fire ways to tell if you have a queenright colony.

1) Observe her in the hive.
2) Observe evidence she was there (eggs)/brood recently.

Hives without queens may look and act like hives with queens. They forage, build comb, store honey/pollen, etc. You cannot reliably tell from the outside alone.

I would not wait 3 weeks before inspecting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts