Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a loyalist to Rossman Apiaries, but I'm having mixed success lately. Of the last three queens I purchased, two died (albeit one was potentially avoidable), and the other, which has overwintered, is flooding her hive with drones, but yet still laying workers.

Anyway, does anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm looking for something with South Central states (Arkansas, Oklahoma) temperance. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know if your supplier is th problem.... I have 9 hives and 6 this year have way too many drone cells... and these queens did not come from Rossmans.... Some of my hives even built drone cells over top worker cells...drone cells on 2 of the 10 frames... also laying a good worker pattern... just a lot of drone cells...
Giorgio

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well. Different sources, different behaviors. I visited the hive in question again yesterday and big change in direction. Drones were way down and workers were nearly boiling over. So nevermind. Win for Rossman.

It does show different behaviors from different sources though. This hive bloomed with workers later in the Spring season. There is another hive right next to it and it was near capacity at the beginning of April.

Thanks for the response though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm looking for something with South Central states (Arkansas, Oklahoma) temperance. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!
I'm not exactly a volume customer but here is my 2 cents worth from my limited experience and limited number of hives. I bought 2 queens each of the last 2 years from Velbert Williams in Heavener, Okla. Service is great. Temperament of the bees is fine.

My hives are also making lots of drones; from 2 different stocks. I wondered about that. Glad to hear that others are seeing this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I don't fret over hives making "too many" drones. They know what they're doing and exactly how many are needed. I've had the same queen make a ton of drones one year and next year the hive looked "normal". They all get kicked out in the fall anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts