Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5th year beek, with all Langs. Wife has me building her a long lang right now. Before investing in a book, can anyone refer me (her) to an article discussing seasonal frame management in long hives? I’ve read most of what’s in this forum, and searched elsewhere, but no joy so far finding what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know you asked for an article, but I'm unaware of any which might give the depth you want from this. I really like Les Crowder's "Top Bar Hive Beekeeping", which has a great section with sketches of the entire hive showing exact manipulations to do things like expand the hive during spring, contract the hive after harvesting, how to split, what to do with queen cells, how to manage coming out of winter, and similar situations. I referred to this section over and over my first 2 years, and still read through the book about yearly. Although his book is about Top Bars, I think any horizontal hive book teaches the same essential techniques. https://www.amazon.com/Top-Bar-Beekeeping-Organic-Practices-Honeybee/dp/1603584617/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1K1S44HJYZ2ZX&keywords=top+bar+hive+beekeeping&qid=1578011003&sprefix=top+bar+hive+%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-1 You can try checking it out of the library first just to if it is worth buying. With 5 years of lang experience, reading through the section once will allow you to connect the dots to what you already know. (Like how to split so each part is strong, or how to add empty frames to the brood nest without endangering the cluster).

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
Excellent link Greg.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Google The Layens Hive for some addltional info. It's old and some it I disagree with but the concept is good. Opinions.... everybody has one.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Excellent link Greg.
Sure.
Someone pointed to it in the Horizontal hives in the context of the Dartington hive - the credit is there.
I don't remember the exact post, but I did remember the catchy key word to re-find it - "omlet hive". :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts