Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever thought about pressing dampened sugar into regular frames? Have never read or seen anything about it, seems like it would be a simple process. It would allow bees to stay down in box where they belong. Just a thought I had and would like comments, good or bad and why.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have done a similar thing in top bar hives. I poured the sugar in the comb and lightly sprayed the sugar with water. It kept the hive alive and avoided starvation. I feel it is an unnecessary step in a Langstroth hive when sugar blocks will work just fine on the top of the frames.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I vaguely remember, but didn't quickly find, a video where someone basically made a candy board in a frame. I'm sure it has been done, but doubt it is much better than a mountain camp on the top.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
A soupy to slushy sugar mixture can be troweled in with a four inch putty knife pretty easily. A little messy. I prefer mixing 2 cups of water with a ten pound bag of white sugar and beet is cheaper where I live. I mix it until all the sugar is damp and press it into molds. I like Dixie brand paper soup bowls which weigh about a pound and a quarter when filled. They dry in the cold pretty quickly but one can carefully turn them upside down and lay them on the clustered bees on the top bars and not crush anyone. Lots of ways of doing beekeeping. just don't let them starve and just as bad stuff them so full of sugar the queen has no place to lay.

I figure anytime a colony does not have equivalent of two frames of honey/syrup, they need fed. When bees are brooding up big and fast they can starve to death in very little time. Do not think because pollen is coming in, that the bees are getting adequate nectar! Often early they are not.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think it would disturb the bees to much if you were thinking of doing this as emergency feeding. First off it requires you to remove a frame from the hive, one which may still have some pollen and some honey stores in it, to be replaced with the sugar frame. But to do any good the frame is going to need to go either in or right next to the cluster, which means breaking up the cluster while you insert it. Then after that the bees have to deal with any cold moisture in the sugar frame. Sugar bricks across the frames are reachable by the cluster and can be put in place without disturbing the cluster.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I did it. they ate it. I used an empty frame laid on a cookie sheet and filled with sugar like making a sugar cake. it worked but you have to have empty frames on hand and extra ones so i ditched the idea. I also boiled sugar water and poured into a frame with ritecell in it. I used tin foil under it to contain the flow. those were heavy. bees didnt eat so much as it was like hard candy. also makes a heck of a mess. i posted the steps a few years back.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I am sure it will work. But here's some things to ponder.
Bee will always move up for food, and not alway move left or right.
You may need to split a cluster to get it to where they will use it.
It would be hard to tell how much they have comsumed and if they need more.
Lot of work to make the sugar fit in a frame.
If there is no head space and a feeder shim can't be made then this is a good way to get emergency food on them.

It's hard to beat sugar blocks for emergency food. No cook easy to make, place them on the hive with very little disturbence, take three seconds to feed a hive, replanish allmost anytime even when it's cold, never had a hive starve when there was a block directly over the cluster.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Has any one ever thought about pressing dampened sugar into regular frames? Have never read or seen anything about it, seems like it would be a simple process. It would allow bees to stay down in box where they belong. Just a thought I had and would like comments, good or bad and why.

Shake the dry sugar into the cells, then spray with a spritzer full of water until it's clumped up. Flip over and repeat. Another trick is make thicker syrup and just spray that into empty cells.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've done it in the past. It worked up to a point, but basically 2 things happened; it hardened in the cells and bees moved up and not sideways. Now I have to feed I provide food above the cluster.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't do it. It is not an ideal way to feed.

Pollen patties go in between the two deeps in 2 small patches that give access to the entire patty.

Sugar water + HBH and other additives go into a Fatbeeman-modified Miller hivetop feeder.

A fondant board / quilt box goes in place of an inner cover or hivetop feeder in the coldest weather when liquid feeding is stopped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this very thing last year when my hive got robbed out right before winter. Just wet the sugar lightly enough to where it clumps together then press it into an empty frame ontop of a sheet of wax paper. Make sure to let it dry for about three days then place it dead center........worked like a charm and my bees made it through. When spring comes around the bees just fill the frame with new comb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts