Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I walked out to the hive after dark, to see what, if any, sounds were coming out- really just to get outside for a minute. The bees were bearded a little on the landing board, and when I tipped up the top cover, bees POURED out. In all my inspections- I've never seen so many bees. I've got one deep and two mediums on. Last weeks inspection showed a lot of brood, and one super almost full/drawn- no odd cells. The top super really had not shown any work toward drawing out the new foundation, it had a few bees in it, but not many. Tonight it was a standing room only crowd. Normal thing to see when 'everyone is home?'

I haven't had my have a year yet, so I don't know if I should put another super on to give more room, even if the top super is not full/drawn out? Around here it should be palm trees and mangroves over the next month/two

Looks like rain the next couple days, so I may not be able to check inside the hive till Thurs...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wasn't sure how many empties would be inviting trouble from SHB or moths, etc...haven't really seen either in bothersome numbers thus far....knock on wood.

thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very happy with so many bees. Learning soo much in year one, and it looks like we will have some surplus honey, to boot!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi FL,
Something I might suggest...
If you have an empty super over a full super and the girls don't seem to be working the upper super, it is possible they are honeybound, which increases the risk of swarming. I might move some frames (4 or five-from the middle of the full super to the outside of the empty super with the empty frames from the outside of the empty super to the center of the full super) from the full super up to the upper super just to give them an idea that there is room up above...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts