Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,787 Posts
I hope they killed that nest.

Like your choice of avatar. Somehow I think it suites you!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
They feel there is more then one... tracking isn't so hard except in WA its himalayan blackberry brambles and some ruff terrain, and well, they may have over compulated things
In japan the centuries old practice is they trap the forgers and tie a ribbon to them, then its game on !! chasing the ribbon threw the woods like a fox hunt to find the nest, dig it up, and pan fry the larva!
Its so deep in the culture they make sports drinks out of it !!!
well who am I to judge, I have cut and cooked "oysters" here in the rockies ... culture is culture.. and some times there is no accounting for taste

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They feel there is more then one... tracking isn't so hard except in WA its himalayan blackberry brambles and some ruff terrain, and well, they may have over compulated things
In japan the centuries old practice is they trap the forgers and tie a ribbon to them, then its game on !! chasing the ribbon threw the woods like a fox hunt to find the nest, dig it up, and pan fry the larva!
Its so deep in the culture they make sports drinks out of it !!!
I have also seen that they believe there is more than one. :( Hopefully they find the rest soon.

well who am I to judge, I have cut and cooked "oysters" here in the rockies ... culture is culture.. and some times there is no accounting for taste
My wife keeps wanting get these "oysters" you speak of, and I have no interest in trying them

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Where can you get these bee suits
hornet suit, made to deal with the extra long stingers

My wife keeps wanting get these "oysters" you speak of, and I have no interest in trying them
Bruces in Severance
she can order oysters.... you can order a different "cut" of meat , its one of the few places you can order a Yak burger
Things To Do in Severance, Colorado | Activities and Events in Severance, CO
Town of Severance Annual Severance Days August 12th & 13th
Rocky Mountain Oysters Severance, CO

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I am Lmao looking at the West Coast chic bee suits required by snowflake state functionaries! I know that they can sting! I also know that Japan and CHINA are full of people not killed by these bee parasites. I applaud all steps to wipe them out at least till China reintroduces them, but any commercial beek with a little forethought and remuneration could handle anything these bugs have to offer.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Snow flakes?
In there native range this is a standard PPE used by pest control fokes, stinger goes right thru a standard bee suit, zip zip... It would arguably be criminally negligent to send employes out in a standard suit...
At 10x the venom of a honey bee sting its nothing I want to get hit with, ouch!

If you take a hard look at the suits, you will see were the ventilated bee suits we have now came form, they are just thinner

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not gonna get in line to sample their sting and venom either. Here's a video of the operation.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bruces in Severance
she can order oysters.... you can order a different "cut" of meat , its one of the few places you can order a Yak burger
I drive by there several times a year and am still not interested

We are sort of derailing the thread a bit, but if you like BBQ, if you are ever in the area near lunch time Nordy's has (had?) an all you can eat lunch buffet for about $15. We would go there some days at work and then be less productive all afternoon. It was sort of the default restaurant for work team lunches.

on topic, I think the people that found and destroyed the nest in vancouver wore standard bee suites with several layers of sweat pants and shirts underneath to stop the hornets stingers. This did not prevent them from getting stung, but it reduced the number of stings.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm laughing my butt off too Vance.
I can just hear the war stories......
Looks like the whole department suited up and came out for a night of free fun.

We wreck dive in the North Atlantic with suits like those!😂

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
This is actually BAD news.
Shows that they can persist and multiply here.

No one ever finding any nests would be much better.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Brrrrr
I don't miss New England diving

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Where are the "smart" ads for Storm Trooper Wasp Suits when we actually WANT to see one? Now, I hate spam for more than one reason! Spammers are cordially invited to the theological place of eternal punishment. Large lag bolts will be provided, and the only food is haggis. I do not like green eggs and spam, I do not want them SpamIAm.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
$#Q$!#@[email protected]!#

I just found an article that said they found the following in the nest
Inside. researchers found:
—190 total larvae that developed from eggs.
—108 pupae, the next stage after larvae. They were nearly all queens.
—112 workers, which included 85 workers previously vacuumed out of the nest.
—76 queens
that is a lot of queens. Even if only a few made it out this nest or out of other nests that may exist, this is bad

source:

edit: another link, straight from the source A nest by the numbers - what WSDA found inside the Asian giant hornet nest

1 - 20 of 22 Posts