Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suck at wood working. Just started a week or two ago. I want to make my own equipment including hive bodies when scrap wood is avaible. For the rabbit joints, frame rest, and the hand hold I use a router and a jig from scrap lumber.

Does it look like this will be good enough for hive bodies. I want them to last for quite a while. I will use glue on the joints along with staples.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
The only way to gain experience at woodworking is .... to do more of it. :)

The bees will accept your efforts. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When it comes to using recycled wood, I suggest collecting wood whenever you see it, all year. Then you will have a greater variety of materials to select from when it comes time to make woodenware. As you gain experience, you may find that plywood is best used in a "roof" situation (where it can be protected from the weather by metal or other weathershield), and solid boards last longer for sidewalls.

I use recycled 1x4s for my medium hive bodies. I do have to edge-join two boards (after cutting "clean" edges for those joints). The corners of the boxes have "staggered" rabbet joints - the lower board meets its mate in a mirror position from the upper board mating. The end result is a cross between a rabbet joint and a large finger joint. Once glued and stapled (using a jig) the resulting boxes are relatively ugly, but very sturdy. I am a Titebond II fan! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts