Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to requeen with carniolans this fall - please share your experiences with various breeders - i am still researching and could use some references for some of the scources out there - i only have 6 colonies and everything i read and research says that the carnis are awesome for the hard winter and fast spring buildup -being from mid michigan this sounds like exactly what i need -

thanks in advance -

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks ,
i looked at both of those and from what i can gather the strachans are as close to pure as one can get while the koehnens are bred to italian drones -

i appreciate the replies -thank you

·
Registered
302 Posts
I,m unsure of the breed but you could try some purdue stock(cells or virgins) from Larry Connor, contact info is on the kalamazoo bee club web site.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have gotten Carniolan queens from Mike Palmer the last two years. He is located here in Vermont near the Canadian border. His bees would be considered cold hardy to say the least.

I know he has cross-bred his stock with VSH queens. All of the queens I have gotten from him display VSH traits.

I was at one of his mating yards earlier this week and his queens were beautiful, nice and fat. It's the best $20 you will ever spend on a northern raised queen, by a quality oufit.

French Hill Apiaries
[email protected]

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's the best $20 you will ever spend on a northern raised queen, by a quality oufit. French Hill Apiaries
Second that emotion... but he is likely sold out. Even the grand daughters of his queens are calm, calm, calm and honey producers. One of the daughters of an original French Hill queen (whom I refer to as Miss. Vermont) swarmed this year 3 times (that we saw....) and still gave me a super of honey. The primary swarm that left first and we caught built up 2 deep hive bodies on solid PLASTIC foundation in only 2 weeks and also made a super of honey. Go into the hive at 6 pm with rain on the horizon, and the girls are more often calm than not. I had a sample size of n=1 of his queens, but I do want to give a caveat that it was much more prone to mites. Mike will tell you that up front. I am trying a few more of his queens this season for overwintered nucs and I still have a daughter and grand daughter of the original in the apiary, as well as a grandaughter that my friend reared. : - )

·
Registered
298 Posts
Michael Jablonski
http://www.mikesbeesandhoney.com/

I ordered Carns from three sources last year and two this year. Mike's have worked out very well for me. He is not a large scale operation, but delivers good quality queens. He is mostly a natural survivor stock type producer, without chemical treatment.

I've not had good luck with Koehnen stock, but I know others have.

The other place I got Carns from this year was Simpson's bee supply www.simpsonsbeesupply.com I do not know much anythign about their operation, they may be a reseller and not a producer, but I got 3 Carns from them this past May and they were top quality.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ever consider that maybe that's why they are better than large scale commercial breeders?

Yes for sure, I'm trying to do more with natural untreated survivor stock and even taking a stab are raising my own queens. For me large scale commercial queens just never seem to work out. I got six of them this year and not one of the six survived more than a month. The hive would initialy accept them but after a bit, they went AWOL, or were replaced.

The only thing that seems to work for me is my own hives self created queens, or in a pinch from a small local producer using survivor stock. Mostly going with self created from here on out if I can.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 2 Koehnen Carnis....both are almost jet black. I feel the fact they are bred to Italians especially Cordovans will make them an overall awesome bee. I will have to get into the hives and get some pictures of the brood they are producing..awesome queens and awesome service from them.
:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts