Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to start bees in the spring and have a teenager interested in helping me. Is there a good book you would recommend for a busy high school student without a lot of free time? Something basic to read between now and January when we are signed up for Bee School together.

Also should mention that I am philosophically opposed to books that imply I am a dummy or an idiot, no matter how true it may be at times. So something else would be preferred. :)

Thanks in advance,

Erik

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recommend going to the MAAREC site and finding Beekeeping Basics, available in a PDF of about 100 pages. The PDF you can look at for free or buy the book for $7.50 or a little more. About 100 pages of good basic info. You would update with more recent info on varroa, small hive beetles, and viruses. Our 4-H group uses this text successfully with 6-12 graders. Also online is the MAAREC Guide to Pests PDF with good color pictures.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The MAAREC Book is a good one but unfortunately dated. (The price is right though!) I suggest Bee-Sentials by Larry Connor. Wicwas Press.

·
Registered
208 Posts
"The New Starting Right With Bees" a beginner's handbook on beekeeping, 21st Edition. Published by The A.I. Root co.. I think mine was $10 or $15.

Don't let " philosophically opposed" keep you from reading well laid-out beginner books! Put a cover on it or read it in the dark so no one will see you! My two 'Dummies' bee books & one 'Idiot' bee book are sometimes faster then my 'ABC's or my 'Mike Bush' books to find something to show a beek what I'm talking about! IMHO

·
Registered
142 Posts
FFA puts out a book called "The Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping" by Johnson. It's geared towards high schoolers and is readily available at amazon and Barnes & Noble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Good bee book for teenagers? Douglas Whynott's Following the Bloom

Forget the how-to books and suggest he read Douglas Whynott's "Following the Bloom". It's a great introduction to beekeeping in the form of a narrative story.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts

If wanting a "quick guide", probably should decide what type of beekeeping you will do then get one that mostly covers that. IE, some books are specifically for top bar hives, treatment free beekeeping, or mainstream langstroth beekeeping.

Then also should have a more comprehensive book as some of the "one type of beekeeping only" books leave out a lot. But the comprehensive books are not a quick read, they are for reference purposes, even though a keen beekeeper will probably read the whole thing.

·
Registered
560 Posts

Michael Weiler Bees & Honey, from flower to jar. Compact, easy to read but packed with all the essentials. Its a good introduction into beekeeping. After reading it you will know if beekeeping is something for you or not.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

Forget the how-to books and suggest he read Douglas Whynott's "Following the Bloom". It's a great introduction to beekeeping in the form of a narrative story.
Is it still in print? I would love a copy of that book. I know the Son of one of the main characters. Maybe you'd send/lend me your copy?

Never mind. Found it on Amazon. $19.95 New

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

I will second First Lesson's in Beekeeping. It gives you all the basics you need.

Starting out you can read too much, spend too much time reading Beesource, etc. Learn the basics, get some bees, then start exploring.

The beginner beekeeping class we developed a few years ago uses First Lessons as the text book.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts