Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Due to health and other issues going to try to sell my hives and equipment. Have three (live) viable hives right now, enough woodenware to make another 3. Add to that manual extractor, and all associated strainers, etc. Varro Vap, and a ton of other bee related things I've acquired over 14 years. Think $xxx firm would be fair, no cherry picking, load it all up and haul away. Seem reasonable?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm sorry about your issues, wish I lived closer.

Alex

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am going to do the same as you exmar. Age and health will be the big factor.Not quitting right now but the future is looming.Its catching up to me right now but hope to get another 5 or so years in and would really like to find someone to teach what I do know on to them to carry on afterwards.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, grew up on and still own a farm, if you get to where you can't take care of your livestock properly, it's time. I'm kind of on the fence about selling to a newbee, agree it would be nice to pass on what I think I know, but dread watching the mistakes we all made and the questions that kind of don't have answers except, "because." e.g. "You said you always did "X" but I've been reading and it seems "Y" is more popular? Maybe I'll find the right person and it will be a good fit. Probably a year from now I'll still be here, just a year older and crankier. :)

Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
11,161 Posts
As originally posted, the originating post reads like a "for sale" ad. It may not have been meant that way, but plenty of readers will look at it that way. And that is a problem, as if one person can post such a thread (not in For Sale forum), then the next guy thinks its OK as well, and then it snowballs ... :eek:

So I edited out the price. Note I did not delete the thread. :) Please don't make this back into a "sale" thread or I will delete the thread. Sorry to be hard nosed, but otherwise Beesource evolves into a Craigslist competitor.

If one wishes to post a For Sale ad in the For Sale forum, the 1 month subscription is $15, or there are also longer subscription options. One can find the setup page in each member's "Settings" page, or use this link: https://www.beesource.com/forums/payments.php

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sorry to hear exmar. Age catched up with all of us.
I'm still healthy and reasonably strong I have been looking for means to ease the load. Looking for an electric wheelbarrow as they keep making those hills steeper every year.
I have mentored a few around here and they all turned out well.
They are willing to help but they have young families, are busy....and I'm a very stubborn old bugger.
Keep well.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Exmar, always hate to see a beek getting out. Trying now to get my 13 year old niece interested to keep things moving down the line. I think the price you originally discussed is more than fair, perhaps even under valued. Good luck on craigslist or eBay. Or better yet, contact one of the local clubs. Much better chance of getting an experienced buyer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Learned that in Vietnam.
Hey, me too...Phu Bi 1971, 72, 73 with 158th AVN BN, 101st ABN Div.
In my mind's eye, you Vietnam vets are young men...because that's what you were during my formidable years. But now my dad (a Seabee who did 3 years in Vietnam) is in failing health, so I'm constantly getting reminded that 40 years have passed. Time is a cruel mistress.

·
Registered
960 Posts
In my mind's eye, you Vietnam vets are young men...because that's what you were during my formidable years. But now my dad (a Seabee who did 3 years in Vietnam) is in failing health, so I'm constantly getting reminded that 40 years have passed. Time is a cruel mistress.

40 years? try 50+ maybe 60+ What get me is they teach that as history in school now, makes me feel real old.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can get a clear picture simply be visiting your local VA Medical Center. All eras are represented by vets, except those who are 'all' gone. These days, when thinking about lost friends and the fact that they'll never have Grandkids, never experience old age, breaks my heart. Its breaking right now.

Time may be a cruel mistress but dying young for nothing is more than cruel IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts