Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feelin it's gonna bee a great swarm/honey;) season this year. Last year was pretty good, but we have had a wierd winter. On avg. N. Texas is 10" above rainfall from September to today. Many of these 10" were good slow soaking rains. Record snowfall. 9"+. There is a lot of moisture in the ground. The spring wildflower bloom is gonna bee one of the best you have seen in years! Have some extra equipment ready for calls, set out some traps, checkerboard, split, whatever your plans are for increasing numbers or pounds. Get ready. This will be one of the best springs you will have/had in recent memory.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm wondering about our swarm season here in central FL. :scratch: We have not seen this much cold weather in about 20 years here or freezing temps. I started placing my swarm traps this week and checked a few wild/feral colonies that I know have been there for a few years and threw several swarms each year, both were dead. I wonder how many others in the area perished and how many swarms we will actually catch this year vs last.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm thinking you're right Hambone. We are very wet and have had lots of snow and more on the way this weekend. However, the cold is lasting much longer also and the possibility of spring die outs is also possible if we don't watch them closely. Good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Similar conditions here in NE Ga. I hope it does mean good things. Maybe the long cold winter kept the blooms from opening early and being zapped by late freeze. Maples starting to bloom here, bees are building up!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
same here in Ky..prospectsfor a clover flow are good IF we dont get another drought!
My bees in Florida are a month late due t cold. Orange has been hurt, but may get a flow, wait and see.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You think you are wet in Ennis, you ought to be in Orange! Lacrosse Knee Boots are standard attire when I check my bees.

·
Registered
359 Posts
We can all thank El Nino for the moisture.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I sure hope you are right - knock wood. With last year being so lousy, I have a lot of woodenware and drawn comb at the ready...

You probably are right. Last year at this time our soil was bone dry. This year the frost in the soil is hard and thick from all the moisture.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you bale hay, as I do, you will cuss the rain and the way it has hit us. We didn't get any when we needed it, then when it started raining, it wouldn't quit.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
However, the cold is lasting much longer also and the possibility of spring die outs is also possible if we don't watch them closely.
That’s the one thing that really has me concerned. Even the 10 day out look has our area barely getting above 60. On a bright note. I check pollen.com almost daily. Elm is on the rise. Which is good. Things are waking up

·
Registered
152 Posts
Base on last summer's weather, I'm hoping for a change. It was fairly wet, which meant late blooms, and not a much blooming overall (everything was too wet and cool).

We've had a fairly 'dry' winter so far... Only one major snowfall before christmas gave us about 1ft of snow. Typically, we'd have 6+ft of snow in places.

Better weather means the hay/golden rod field beside my place blooms faster... which means it gets cut sooner... which means a 2nd bloom later in the season. I took several hundred lb's of honey off of 6 hives last year... 1 full strength, 3 decent splits, 1 stronger split, and 1 weak split.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I think it is going to be a great year over here in NE Texas. All my hives are ready for supers and they are bringing in loads of pollen.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't get the swarming season thing. Maybe you guys are not splitting hard enough in the spring or something? :scratch:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't get the swarming season thing. Maybe you guys are not splitting hard enough in the spring or something? :scratch:
Down south... different seasonal patterns. Swarms are much more common in warmer climates. You're in Colorado... I bet it's cold there and your bees aren't flying much... just like northern Ontario... totally different than Texas.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Maybe you didn't understand my question. If with a 4000 hive operation we had to worry about all our bees swarming you wouldn't get much of a honey crop. By doing a hard split in the spring we have next to zero swarming. So even if you have spring earlier down south and possible have a second season where the hives build up too quickly why not just split a second time instead of letting them swarm...seems like a hit and miss management system doing it that way.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was talking about swarm calls. I not going to let mine swarm.:) Have 3 bee trees staked out for some traps too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The flows are different down here. Main flow is in the spring. If you miss it, then its too bad. No forage at all during Aug-Sept. Nada. 120 degree heat. We have intermittent flows, but unless you are on Ag of some kind and/or move your bees its make it or break it in the Spring....At least for me. Last year went by with a 2 week strong flow in late Spring and that was it for the year. Locked in by RAIN and dearth.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wildflower spring flow was weak. The horsemint and paint brushes were not near as thick as I have seen them. , but the Mesquite flow here in June was great last year. You could walk threw the pastures and hear the bees buzzing on the mesquites.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts