Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

my strongest hive is smelling like what I think is goldenrod honey. Can't describe the smell exactly other than it is very different from what I would smell earlier this year.

-Thomas

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Goldenrod in mine smells like butterscotch too.
To the op, I smelled a bit of it about a month ago. It is a rarity here.
If mine smelled anything like dirty gym socks….I’d be opening them up to see what was going on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeppers. I would give it a few more weeks at least. Asters going, too. Bees been rocking the tulsi in my wife's garden for several months.

So, Goldenrod is still blooming in GA?
Wow.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Goldenrod smells like old gym socks. Sort of a fungus smell... later as it cures it smells like there is some butterscotch in with that smell.. and later it just smells like butterstotch.
IDK what sort of goldenrod is in your area, but at no point did goldenrod smell like gym socks.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Last year a friend's hive gathered some goldenrod honey. About the same time I was helping him with an OAV treatment. I was absolutely certain that my bee jacket was well on it's way to becoming a science project until I realized why it was smelling so funky only when I was near the hive. Old gym socks is an apt description of the smell of the fresh nectar.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, Dan,

is it because of a different temperature zone or elevation, do you think? We're about 1000 feet above sea level here. I thought we had similar weather patterns?

-Thomas

It is done here.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Walt Wright wrote that he thought the Asters other than Goldenrod is what imparted the gym sock smell to the drying nectar.
We had a good Goldenrod bloom this year. I am beginning to think he is right. The honey is not as strong as in previous years.

Alex

·
Registered
35 Posts
I harvested a good crop, three years ago, of comb and honey, (goldenrod aster). The smell never went away. Our state fair was in August, the next year. We won two first places in amber chunk. My wife said it tastes like root beer barrel candy, I don't like the bitter after taste, but some people like its strong flavor and to help with allergies. It does crystallizes quick. I was told to blend it, but I will just let the bees have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts