Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first year beekeeper in the West Georgia/East Alabama area, near I-20. I have noticed small patches of goldenrod starting to bloom in my area. I am keeping notes on different events in my area so that I might have some idea of what to expect in the future. Is this a typical bloom time for goldenrod in my area, or is it early? Also, will the bees collect both nectar and pollen from the goldenrod? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a little north of you just southeast of Huntsville. Last year the golden rod didn't start here until September. I did get a significant amount of golden rod honey that the bees used to over winter last year.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yes, I've seen bees here in west Alabama collecting pollen and nectar from Golden Rod and Asters in the fall. We have some early golden rod blooming here, seems a little earlier than last year but we've had more rain this year than last year. Guess I need to check my notes from last year to see when it bloomed then. I was thinking mid September for last year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Al, I live just down the road from you and also have noticed a few goldenrod starting to bloom. I kept bees years ago and just getting back into it. I will be keeping a note book on different plants and blooming dates. I have several large fields around and hope to have a good fall nectar flow to help winter them on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here in central South Carolina...I am starting to see some goldenrod and sumac in bloom. Hurrah!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I live in NW Ga and I've been seeing some Goldenrod blooming around here. In the past few years it seems Goldenrod would bloom in September and October. During the bloom we have about 130 Acres with Goldenrod everywhere and my bees hardly touch it. I had to feed several hives in the past 2 years with Goldenrod in full bloom.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
It's probably much the same here as there. I see a few goldenrods blooming. In fifteen years I haven't ever seen any fall surplus, including goldenrod. I see my bees working it on occasion but I've found that the condition they go into fall is the same as they go into winter. Any that I find low on stores over the next few weeks will get fed. Just my experience.

·
Registered
156 Posts
During the bloom we have about 130 Acres with Goldenrod everywhere and my bees hardly touch it.
+1. Tons of goldenrod everywhere here, no bees working it. My kids are sick of me stopping the car along the road to stare at the flowers looking for some action. I wonder if something triggers nectar flow in goldenrod or if other factors come into play with goldenrod usage.

I'm not relying on goldenrod at all, after seeing the lack of usage. If they get some, great.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The bees don't touch the short variety of goldenrod in my area. They only work the tall variety. I don't know the names of the two types but it is very apparent when you view them side by side.
The taller variety will start blooming around the 2nd week of September.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good information Eric. I didn't realize there was a short variety, we only have the tall variety around my bee yards and I definitely got a good bit of honey from it last year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have fields full of Goldenrod blooming in middle Tennessee. I even dug some up and planted in pots and in the yard. The only thing I have observed working it is bumble bees and wasps. From what I understand there are different types of Goldenrod and the later blooming ones provide more nectar.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also didn't realize there were different varieties of goldenrod. Most of what I am seeing is about four to six feet tall. It is still just starting to bloom, so I can't really tell if my bees are working it or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I SURE hope this holds true for here in NW NC. Not much GR blooming here and what there is the bees are not getting nectar, though they are bringing in some pollen. It has been a cool and rainy summer. A couple of hives are hanging out all OVER the front and on the 'dashboard' - I thought they were going to swarm!!!! There has been a LONG dearth period here and I am having to feed strong. One person close by opened their hive to find they had gone through two supers of honey and had died of starvation.....I do pray it picks up soon!!! :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm in the mountains of southwest VA and the goldenrod and wingstem is just starting to bloom. I was in MN and WI several days ago and theirs is also just starting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goldenrod hasn't started yet in the NC foothills, about an hr west of Charlotte in Polk Co., but the Joe Pye has. Goldenrod has started blooming in Henderson Co. just west of me & about 1000ft higher in elevation (about 2200 ft).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rain. It takes moisture for the goldenrod to produce nectar. This is the first time ever i have seen bee working the early type. Last year they produced a surplus of goldenrod honey on the late type. It grandulates quickly, but has a good flavor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here near Montgomery AL, the tall variety is still green. We usually pull any extra honey from the hives just before it blooms in September and let the ladies have all they can pull from the GR and asters to make it through the mild winters we have down here. Last year we didn't need to start feeding until early January.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts