Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in South Central Illinois (Shelby County) Goldenrod is blooming. Bees are bringing in huge loads of bright yellow pollen. Lots of activity. Sorry i am a little late reporting this been going on for 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In Southern Michigan it is the same. One thing I found interesting is that 200 miles to the North it was blooming 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was because that area got more regular rain. We just had our first significant rain this past week.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
has been blooming up here a couple weeks but not a lot of activity on it from the bees yet. I did see at least one bee yesterday heavy with yellow pollen so hopefully they are getting to working it.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
has been blooming up here a couple weeks but not a lot of activity on it from the bees yet. I did see at least one bee yesterday heavy with yellow pollen so hopefully they are getting to working it.
I think our bees mostly get the latest goldenrod for nectar; I think there are two other earlier ones that grow but the bees don’t really forage on them.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
236 Posts
I wanted to update our goldenrod flow. One variety of goldenrod started 2 weeks ago. The one I have in my yard is just about to open. This is near St Louis.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think our bees mostly get the latest goldenrod for nectar; I think there are two other earlier ones that grow but the bees don’t really forage on them.
man hope they get going here soon...its getting cooler quickly. I have to get the honey off, apivar on and winter prep underway. There is SOOOOO much goldenrod around hopefully this will make for a decent fall harvest.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
man hope they get going here soon...its getting cooler quickly. I have to get the honey off, apivar on and winter prep underway. There is SOOOOO much goldenrod around hopefully this will make for a decent fall harvest.
goldenrod is like buckwheat, they like warm days with cool nights to make nectar, enough rain in early july helps.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Central, west New Jersey-just starting to bloom and show color here. It's been overcast and cool the last few days but the forecast is for warmer, sunny days (80's F) for the next week or so and I'm already seeing the girls flying in large numbers and coming back with yellow pollen.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Early since three weeks ago and late Goldenrod for the past week. Despite some rain, they do not seem very interested. I decided to forgo the fall harvest and feed early. J

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I see the same thing every year like Cloverdale mentioned , they ignore the early goldenrod and hit the crop that come out later , it might be there on another nectar source like knotweed in my area

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in south east Missouri. In my area golden rod is just starting to open, but the rag weed, Jerusalem artichoke, and a variety of sun flower also produce bright yellow pollen and have been open for the past week. My hives are mostly working the rag weed currently as far as I can tell. 2 years ago my fall flow produced as much as my spring flow. I am hoping for the same this year.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bees were bringing in tons of yellow pollen today. I was going to feed a patty while I was treating, but it didn't look necessary.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The GR flow is on here in Southern Ontario- today was the first day the whole yard smelled like sweet dirty socks :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the thumb of Michigan (near Port Sanilac) and it seems like the golden rod came through early here. I already harvested some, but there's so much I think I'll have more in a couple of weeks. Check out the difference!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
@Mila

Those are very nice labels, could you tell me where you purchased those labels?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts