Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see bees bringing plenty of yellow goldenrod pollen and I can smell that nectar as well.

How soon if any I will be able to collect that goldenrod honey?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi, where is Orland Park?

·
Registered
258 Posts
As soon as it is fully capped, just like other honey.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am northof you and Ihave goldenrod coming in also. I will leave it for a couple of weeks as the bees are very active when itis not raining.Leave it until they cap it or otherwise you will have a tough time reducing the moisture. I try for lower than 18.6%. I am currently struggling reducing moisture in many 5 gallon buckets that I had to extract early.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Smelled it for the first time in Menomonee Falls yesterday (near Milwaukee). The ground is VERY wet here, and goldenrod browning out(done). Will have to see if some of it wakes up with the coming warmth, and if the Purple Asters wake up.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
According to Wikipedia, pumpkin (and most likely any Cucurbita family plants - squashes, cucumbers, etc) produce yellow pollen.

My own cucumbers and summer/late squashes and such are still blooming fine.
The nearby community gardens are full of blooming Cucurbita vegetables too.

So, plenty of sources for yellow pollen are around (asters, Cucurbita, etc).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Mr. Bush - just for reference - in this area, although the bloomings overlap for a short period like now, generally the Goldenrod starts to bloom 3 weeks before the Aster, and the Aster blooms for 2-36 weeks after the Goldenrod stops.

Crazy Roland

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
They pretty much happen at the same time here usually. Though some years some of the Goldenrod is earlier than other years and some of it is earlier than other varieties of goldenrod so maybe they beat the asters in those years. This year they are at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts