Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has a heavy flavor - I thought I heard somewhere that it was gaining some popularity as a "health food"? What are the chances to be able to sell it? How about some Goldenrod comb honey? :rolleyes: :D

Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know it has a heavy flavor - I thought I heard somewhere that it was gaining some popularity as a "health food"? What are the chances to be able to sell it? How about some Goldenrod comb honey? :rolleyes: :D

Mike

oh shoot i love the flavor of it. I plan on selling any thats left when spring comes.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I had no trouble selling my goldenrod honey. Now that is gone so I have lighter summer honey and everyone wants the "darker stuff" I had last fall/winter.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
We haven't had good distinct summer flows and fall flows here in my part of NY, so I have been taking the honey off of the hives all at one time in Sept. and Oct., then extracting it. So, the goldenrod is in there w/ all of the other floral sources that the bees worked on from apple blossom/dandelion to goldenrods/asters. I passed out hundreds of tastes of honey to people yesterday, at a Craft Show, and didn't have a one that didn't like it.

Found a person who is allergic to honey though. Most unusual.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I heard that the hive has a real funky smell when the bees are working goldenrod. Anybody have this experience?
They develop a very strong smell, not unpleasant, as the honey is curing. If the wind is from the south we can smell it in the family room from the hives that are 60+ feet away.

Goldenrod is a major flow here in late summer though this year purple loosestrife appears to be making a little bit of a comeback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Goldenrod honey is frequently sought after in my area (southwestern Ontario). In addition to its distinct flavour and dark colour it is often prescribed by allergists for people with allergies.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Pure Golden Rod honey is not dark, I have only seen it once but one of our club members had a hive in the center of 600 acers of GR and the honey was "Golden" in color ( I have never seen any other honey that same color) I think the dark color comes from the Asters they are working at the same time as GR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts