Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only gotten excess honey for the past couple of years because I just started a year before that. I have been pulling my supers at the beginning of August partly because that's when the goldenrod flow starts here. I was under the impression that goldenrod can give the honey a slightly bitter taste so I decided to let the bees start putting it away for themselves for the winter. I figured that would give them time to collect it, dry it and cap it before the flows stopped in the fall. What is your opinion of the goldenrod flow? I am getting the impression that a lot of people try to get harvest it too. If that's the case, when would you pull everything and still give them time to put away plenty of winter stores? I winter in two deeps and a medium. I have been pulling all supers at the beginning of August, adding an empty super for them to fill for themselves along with usually filling most if not all of the upper deep.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why not pull a few frames and try it? Some like it some don't. It will crystalize in about 3 months time.

jd

·
Registered
87 Posts
Last year my goldenrod honey sold faster that the clover honey. You need to try it before you give up on it. The smell isn't that pleasent when the bees are gathering it but try it, I'll bet you will like it.
Henry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Beecron
Goldenrod is a mighty fine honey has alot of flavor but like said will crystalize fast but can be reheated. I would let the bees keep the summer honey and go for the goldenrod . Customers like it better and its a true auburn color that people like and associate with honey.
walt

·
Registered
764 Posts
Beecron
I will agree the smell is bad but it is good honey.some of my cutomers will only by the stinkyrod honey.so try some and see how people like it.give some samples ans see what your customers think.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Beecron;
You may have seen other of my posts where I have said that goldenrod is the only honey I get. My location provides for a nice spring build up (weather permitting) but my summer flow is very slow, I rarely have any summer honey to take off.

BUT..... When the first of august rolls around and the golden flow starts that’s when my bees earn their keep.

Now of course there are some other plants blooming at the same time but the golden rod over shines them by far.

I have a loyal customer base going back 30 years and many go out of there way for our honey, they tell me its better than what they find else where, even from other bee keepers. I believe it’s all because it is by far predominately goldenrod.

I do not understand why any one would say that it smells. I love to stand amongst the hives and take in the aroma of the golden flow. To me it is a little heaven on earth. To each is own, I guess.

I have not noticed that it crystallizes excessively fast, but then my hands on experience with other honeys is limited.

I label the jars with the little instruction stickers on how the thaw out the crystallized honey, if desired. That’s the only label I use.

I keep supers on my hives until the frost has killed the goldenrod and I become worried that the honey might crystallize in the comb. Usually mid to late October.

The bees seem to have no problem filling their brood chambers with winter stores.

Give goldenrod a try.... you won’t go wrong!

tom

I Love Goldenrod!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like there are a lot of proponents of goldenrod. I may have to try some this year to see how it is. I think I will try to keep it seperate from the rest if it crystalizes so fast. Last year's summer flow didn't crystalize until late spring this year.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I look forward to the goldenrod flow. Next to locust and clover it is our largest flow by far, and there are never enough bees to handle all the goldenrod around here. It's great, and I also like goldenrod honey.

peggjam

·
Registered
812 Posts
>>>> you may need to add to your labelling.

Has any of the small hobbist been bothered by the Label Police?

I can see being concerned if you are selling through retail outlets but all my sales are from my front door. My label does not list weight (I sell 'pints' or 'quarts', instead of '2 lbs' or '3 lbs'). I do list my phone number so they can call asking for more.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No, John. I have not been bothered by the label police. I just thought it would be easier to obey the rules from the start. Never considered non-compliance until caught.

Different strokes.

Hawk

·
Registered
378 Posts
We don't get much goldenrod here, but we do get a mix of goldenrod and asters. It may be that we get some other fall flowers that give the honey a bad taste, but I'm not real fond of MY fall honey (whatever it is).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just started a year ago and if it wasn't for the golden rod I wouldn't have gotten any honey (last year I was using RossRounds). I figure I'll take the golden rod as much as I can get and then syrup the bees after the flow is over.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I, too, have never harvested the goldenrod honey. Leave it for the bees to overwinter on it. We get a lot of it around here, though. I'm sure I could harvest some and still have plenty for my hives, so I think I'll give it a try. And I like Michael's idea of "candied goldenrod honey." I sell some of my honey through a health food-oriented community market and I bet they'd really go for this idea. Thanks again, Michael.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts