Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving from Lansing to Grand Rapids Michigan and saw quite a bit of Golden rod blooming. Seems a little early to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I drove from Minneapolis Minnesota to Flint Michigan and marveled at all the Goldenrod blooms on the trip. Seems Wisconsin and Indiana had more than Michigan, but we're getting there!

·
Registered
367 Posts
How is the golden rod flow going in your areas? I haven't been to the bee yard in a week but thinking recent rains should be helping the flow. Noticed a lot of golden pollen coming in last visit

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just got back from a fishing trip to the U.P. Lots of golden rod in full bloom. I was surprised to find some starting to bloom here in SW lower michigan.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm starting to see bright orange pollen coming in.
Got my first whiff of goldenrod today at one of my hives.
Stopped the truck today near a ditch with goldenrod that was blooming. Saw bees all over it! I hope they were mine!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I could smell it last weekend and finally got supers on at my other yard location this week.
Hoping this falls harvest won't be like last year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Smell of golden rod was strong in the yard last weekend have supers on several hives. Most are still packing on nectar. Also noticed a few frames of drones up in the supers lol queen had to cross 2 full mediums of capped honey to get to the open comb. Oh well that's what you get for running an unlimited brood nest. Funny thing is I have about 50 % of my hives evicting adult and pupal drones and the other 50% laying more drones.... Lol!

Will return next week to see what they have stored

·
Registered
180 Posts
I pulled 7.5 gallons off my two first year nucs last night. No smell of goldenrod from either hive, but it is definitely blooming and being worked by the bees.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Went out to the hard today very stinky

Saw several patches of goldenrod still blooming strong, bees working every frond of yellow

Checked some hive weights by hand today they are starting to fill up again. I'd hate To have a late season swarm from overcrowding. I left a few supers on the strongest hives as they are getting heavier and still have a billion bees in them

A few supers look full with dark honey. Will get some more accurate weights next week

1 - 16 of 16 Posts