Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my hives died last December and January. As a result I have lots of honey left over. I need to know what can be done with it? It smells pretty bad. I did not extract much of it. Can it be fed back to the bees?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most of my hives died last December and January. As a result I have lots of honey left over. I need to know what can be done with it? It smells pretty bad. I did not extract much of it. Can it be fed back to the bees?
What do you mean by "smells bad"? I have extracted goldenrod honey in spring in the past without noticing significant difference between the fall extraction of the same honey (except that in spring it is thicker, but still spins out).
If it smells fermented, then either make mead (I could never get good mead from goldenrod for some reason) or you could try feeding it back- see if they take it from the frames (scratch the cappings).
If the smell is something really nasty, it could also be the dead bees in/on that frame...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't like golden rod honey so harvest summer honey before they bloom and leave the golden rod honey for the bees . It smells odd to me also .

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Our winters in Wisconsin are very humid. Bees do not winter well on Goldenrod because of the high roughage. . Can you scratch it open and put it above an innercover for them to clean out?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you mean by "smells bad"? I have extracted goldenrod honey in spring in the past without noticing significant difference between the fall extraction of the same honey (except that in spring it is thicker, but still spins out).
If it smells fermented, then either make mead (I could never get good mead from goldenrod for some reason) or you could try feeding it back- see if they take it from the frames (scratch the cappings).
If the smell is something really nasty, it could also be the dead bees in/on that frame...
BEE careful not to try to work honey that has been contaminated by small hive beetles. I try to wash that stuff out of drawn comb with low pressure water from a garden hose. Bees won't work it and it's otherwise of no use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
BEE careful not to try to work honey that has been contaminated by small hive beetles. I try to wash that stuff out of drawn comb with low pressure water from a garden hose. Bees won't work it and it's otherwise of no use.
Is SHB even a thing in WI? They just started showing up in our area and so far have not caused any problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our winters in Wisconsin are very humid. Bees do not winter well on Goldenrod because of the high roughage. . Can you scratch it open and put it above an innercover for them to clean out?

Crazy Roland
Is SHB even a thing in WI? They just started showing up in our area and so far have not caused any problems.
I have never had any small hive beetles here in Wisconsin

Crazy Roland
[/QUOTE
I always try to leave the golden rod for overwintering. You say they don't do very w

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't like golden rod honey so harvest summer honey before they bloom and leave the golden rod honey for the bees . It smells odd to me also .
This seems odd to me- my goldenrod honey is very nice and gets excellent reviews from customers. It has a nice, light color, and great smell and taste. It has a high demand and I get a good price for it. My only issue is that it seems to crystallize fairly quickly.

Are there different 'kinds' of goldenrod? Something else mixed in? Something else going on?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Once the goldenrod honey is ripe - it is excellent.
It does not smell the "sweaty socks" at all (just a very faint and momentary whiff maybe when you open a jar).
My kids will want the goldenrod honey whenever I get any.

I would not at all even point towards the Goldenrod here - the issue is misplaced all together IMO.

Bad smell <> Goldenrod.
Bad smell == fermenting, unripe honey of any kind most likely (Goldenrod or not, does not matter).
I'd feed it back to a strong colony, not a problem - as long as they can freely fly and poop outside at will.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Not really a problem.
A good hard winter takes care of them.
BUT - if they came in via a package from down South, they very well could do some damage for the current season (until the winter takes care of them again).

·
Registered
433 Posts
I find that uncapped golden rod honey can smell pretty funky, but once it is capped, the smell usually goes away, even if I extract it. Is there a lot of uncapped honey in the hive?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
What can be done with it? Uh, it's honey, what would OP do with honey surplus ordinarily?

What was the mite count in the fall?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I find that uncapped golden rod honey can smell pretty funky, but once it is capped, the smell usually goes away, even if I extract it. Is there a lot of uncapped honey in the hive?
Never seems to smell 'funky' to me. I love the smell of bees making honey. When I step out the door and can smell the honey from the hives a couple of hundred yards away, I know it's a good day.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
We get shb in Wisconsin that are brought up with the migrating hives. Like stated above, the winter kills them.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
433 Posts
I live in a place where when the goldenrod blooms, it is literally the only thing out there for the bees, so it tends to be disproportionately represented in the hive in the fall. It is quite strong for us around here, so much so we have to train new beekeepers to not wig out in the fall when their hives smell rotten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts