Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the first blooms. We had ran last night in the in the morning and a good 2" rain 2 weeks ago. Grant it just a few plants here or there but seems early. Don't recal ever seeing blooms this early. What do you think. Im sure happy as the girls cranky!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
have been seeing them blooming here forlast week and a half

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There are a lot of varieties of Goldenrod. We had an early variety in Maine that bloomed mid-summer but the bees never touched it. I saw the same here in PA a few weeks ago with the bees ignoring that early bloom too. Right now, a taller variety is just beginning to bloom and I'll look to see if bees are on it this weekend. It would be nice to see a goldenrod flow starting early.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It does seem early for GR to bloom. There a few plants in my yard with blooms as well.

Hope this is not OT. But we have at least two common types of GR. The early bloom the bees don't seem to work as hard.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was just across the bridge in Indiana last week and saw GR blooming, haven't seen any around here yet but won't be long from the looks of it. It does seem early for it to be blooming.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Saw some early goldenrod blooming in eastern Mississippi near Columbus (Lowndes County) on the side of the road in damp places. Couldn't tell if bees were working it. There's quite a bit about to start blooming around my place in west Alabama too. Flower heads are forming but no color yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you say that bright orange pollen is from golden rod, then 1 in about 30 of my bee's going into my hive has some. North side of indy

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a small patch of corn, about 8' square. It is full of bees gathering yellow pollen, stuffed in their back baskets. I hope they leave some for the wind to fertilize the ears below. But, I am glad they are happy, and I think maybe next year I'll plant some more. Our goldenrod is just beginning. They work the short variety just a little. The taller comes a bit later and that's the real goldenrod flow.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We just recieved 2 inches of rain this weekend perhaps more today. Everything is so green and lush. Th hives were bringing in tons of pale yellow pollen today. Flowers all over the place. If we get one more good rain in a few weeks the fall flow is seting up to be killer this year. Typicallly everhthing is brown and dry this time of year

1 - 13 of 13 Posts