Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, I lost both of my first hives this winter. Basically starved out. I had Italians and I think the cold winter coupled with my inexperience led to their demise. Both clusters worked to the top of the frame then perished. I brushed out the old bees and inspected the comb.
I will be getting two new 3lb packages (RUSSIAN-"YUGO" CARNIOLAN) first week of April. I have two deep boxes with 80% of drawn comb with honey from the hives that I can use.

Should I install the packages directly into the deep boxes with the drawn and partially filled frames as they were or will any particular combination of foundation only and drawn frames work better?

I plan on running two deeps for the hive bodies and have medium supers, only the original single deep hive bodies have drawn comb everything else is foundation only.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Comb is always better than foundation, if it is not diseased. Put the packages in one deep. When they cover 7/10 of the frames put on the second deep. If you want them to draw it out real quick feed them sugar syrup constantly or hope for a good nectar flow. Best of luck!

·
Registered
939 Posts
How unfortunate for their demise. If you're determined that starvation was the cause, then you'd certainly be able to use most everything with a bit of cleaning and inspection. Yes, one deep is all you need to restart.

Congrats on the Russian/Carniolian choice, that should be an interesting mix. My Russians, even the weak hive, is still alive after a normal winter and buzzing around when sunny out.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Sorry too hear that.
It sounds like you already have all the right answered. Don't let them get too light in the winter/fall.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do plan on keeping the syrup on them until they stop taking it. I know there are a lot of opinions regarding syrup ratios. I plan on going with 1:1 in the top feeders. Not sure if I should start with the Bee-Pro patties as well, until they stop taking that too.

I started with nucs in September. Maybe a late start for my area? Maybe not much for the bees to work with? Maybe the wrong race for my area? For sure a lack of experience!

I always have more questions,! Thanks for the tips. I am taking them in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts