Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went thru my first dead hive a couple days ago. plenty of honey left. small cluster, queen had laid eggs and they couldn,t reach the honey and cover the eggs. anyway. the hive next to it is very strong. i picked the back up the other day and it felt very light. i am going to take a box full of honey from the deadout and put on top. this hive often has bees out flying when the others dont. i can hear bees in all 3 mediums. i don't know why this hive is so populated. is it possible that bees drifted from one of the other 3 boxes in the same row? the deadout is right next to it- about 3 inches. this hive was from a split i did april. or june. any thoughts?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
Was the weather warm when you went through it? I don't consider them dead until they are warm and dead... but assuming they are, giving it to another hive is best. It will save the bees the work of robbing it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, it was warm enough that the other hives were out flying. after i had almost finished going thru it they started to rob it out, but we haven't had a warm day since. tomorrow is supposed to warm up so i will pick thru and give them a super full of honey. should i bring it in the house today to warm it up before i put it on tomorrow?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its 41 degrees now. i'm getting off work in a few minutes. when i get home i'll get the super together and put in on and close it up as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
added the super round 3:30. the undertakers were busy carrying off dead bees, and a few were out at the moistened sugar i had out in the yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts